5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

i need a crash coarse in carbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 02:10 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default i need a crash coarse in carbs

one of my friends has a 70's T-bird that has been sitting forever, about 7 years. body is in perfect condition(been garaged this whole time). just last year her ex husband pulled the motor and took it to a shop and they has all new bearings put in the block and had it honed, crank turned and re ringed the pistons. then he took the motor back, put it all back together(cam, heads, intake blah blah blah) he couldnt get it running before my friend and him got divorced.

now she wants to get rid of the car so she has her spot back in the garage. she said if i can get it running and drive it out of there i can have it. not that i particularly want it, but i can sell it i dont have any question that i can get it running but how do you tune a carb? anyone have a good tech article that explains for newbs or can you give me a quick explanations? im sure i can figure it out easily, just need a push in the right direction.

and pardon my title...wrong "course"

Last edited by FivePointOhh; 03-28-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:20 PM
gtmustang1090
1st Gear Member

on the underside of the carb there should be screws that adjust the jets inside the carb.. depending on if its a 2 barrel or 4 and how many jets will determine how many screws.. also if it wont start check the choke on the car its the flap over the top of the carb. especially if it is a electric one.. i would take some carb cleaner and they make a starter fluid to spray in to help it start.. most likely tho its the jets are not getting enough fuel in or the choke flap isnt moving to allow the air to get in.. hope this helps.. if all else fails just buy a new carb
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
blike
2nd Gear Member

Pull it and rebuild it at least.. find what kind of carb it is, Holleys I know first hand have a lot of tuneablility. Is it the 429 Thunderjet or a 351?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im not sure yet why it doesnt start but she says it does crank. i havent gotten a chance play with it yet but i saw the machine shop receipts. i just figured im going to have to set the carb once i get it running. how do you "tune" it with the jets?
Old 03-28-2009, 02:46 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by blike
Pull it and rebuild it at least.. find what kind of carb it is, Holleys I know first hand have a lot of tuneablility. Is it the 429 Thunderjet or a 351?

why rebuild? it already has been. and its a 351
Old 03-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Buy this book
http://autosupermart.com/store/shop/hpb00052.html
only 210 pages or so, and you'll come out the other end a much smarter individuial.

Why do you say the carb is an issue?
If its all gummed up douse it with carb cleaner.

What model carb is it?

What are the no start symptoms?

Last edited by Slo5oh; 03-28-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by gtmustang1090
on the underside of the carb there should be screws that adjust the jets inside the carb.. depending on if its a 2 barrel or 4 and how many jets will determine how many screws.. also if it wont start check the choke on the car its the flap over the top of the carb. especially if it is a electric one.. i would take some carb cleaner and they make a starter fluid to spray in to help it start.. most likely tho its the jets are not getting enough fuel in or the choke flap isnt moving to allow the air to get in.. hope this helps.. if all else fails just buy a new carb
There are not screw on the bottom that adjust the jets, at least not on a holley or Carter carb. Jets are a hole that fuel flows through when the carb is past the part throttle circut. It would really help if we knew what carb this was, but in general you will find two screws on either the front or sides of the carb for adjusting idle mixture. Start with these backed out 2-2.5 turns. You also need to check the idle speed screw and make sure that the throttle blades are open a very small amount. Also the float level needs to be set, but we need to know what carb we are talking about. BEFORE doing any of that, I would check to make sure it is getting fuel and spark.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im not suspecting the carb, im just assuming it will have to be set once i get it running. my guess is the guy that put it together didnt know how to stab the dizzy correctly because she says it'll crank and pop a few times but never runs.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:12 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

im calling her now to ask what kind of carb it is.

i plan on restabbing the dizzy and TDC and checking fire order, check plugs and introduce my own fuel to make sure i can get it to fire. and if it doesnt i'll go through the troubleshooting steps. the mechanics of getting it running are no problems. i just have never messed with a carb before.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:16 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

it has a holley 4 barrel

Quick Reply: i need a crash coarse in carbs