5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Default Idle problem

OK so i heres the deal, the cars seem to want to idle high when coming to a stop. The only way i can get it to come down is by bumping the gas lightly. Then sometimes it will surge from about 400 to 1300 rpms, until it finds itself.

Then sometimes it wants to die, when it surges and also comes to a stop.

The pro-m mass says 80mm cone on the sensor,i dont know if thats to big or has something to do with it, but it worked fine on the car removed from. Hopefully ill get by shrader valve adapter for my fuel pressure tester tommarrow, any ideas guys
Old 04-14-2009, 02:28 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

bump^^

ALso been playing wih it and when i turn my fan on the idle changes. Say its idling fine at 800 or so, then i turn my fan on and it wants to drop and surge between 700 and 800 rpms.

I checked my batt and i had 12.6 volts with key off, then i started the car with fan off and i got 14.2 volts, turned the fan on and it went down to 13.6 but then came back up to 14.0. ANy suggestions would be great guys
Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Dang i feel all alone, lol

SO i pulled the codes-

KOER-
-94 AIR system inoperative -
Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem -

-44 AIR system inoperative -

31 EVP - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was out of range -
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was low -
PFE - (O, R, M) PFE signal is/was low -

And on the KOEO-
-81 Boost control solenoid -

-(82) 2.3L TC - Fan Control wire shorted to ground - A/C and Fan Circuits

-84 EGR Vacuum Regulator -
EGR cutoff solenoid -
EGR Vent solenoid -

-(85) 2.3L T/C Automatic - 3/4-4/3 Shift solenoid -
CANP solenoid (ALL 1989) -
(M) 1.9L MFI - System has corrected rich condition -

Also finally my fuel pressure adapter came in and when i first turn the key on it only goes to like 8psi, then i turn the key off and then back on ect. and it will get to 38psi. Is this how its suppose to work.

SO then i started the car and immediately the car was surging, and the pressure was surging also, from like 28 to 36ish psi. Also when i turned the key on and then off to see if the pressure drops fast, it didnt move at first then i actually went up in pressure like to 40psi, to i tapped the pressure release button and it brought it down to 24, then it climbed to 36, this was with the key off!!!!

PLEASE HELP GUYS
Old 04-15-2009, 04:16 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

its 3am, ull get sum responses from the gear heads in the morrow
Old 04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Originally Posted by calfroper_06
Dang i feel all alone, lol

SO i pulled the codes-

KOER-
-94 AIR system inoperative -
Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem -

-44 AIR system inoperative -

31 EVP - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was out of range -
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was low -
PFE - (O, R, M) PFE signal is/was low -

And on the KOEO-
-81 Boost control solenoid -

-(82) 2.3L TC - Fan Control wire shorted to ground - A/C and Fan Circuits

-84 EGR Vacuum Regulator -
EGR cutoff solenoid -
EGR Vent solenoid -

-(85) 2.3L T/C Automatic - 3/4-4/3 Shift solenoid -
CANP solenoid (ALL 1989) -
(M) 1.9L MFI - System has corrected rich condition -

Also finally my fuel pressure adapter came in and when i first turn the key on it only goes to like 8psi, then i turn the key off and then back on ect. and it will get to 38psi. Is this how its suppose to work.

SO then i started the car and immediately the car was surging, and the pressure was surging also, from like 28 to 36ish psi. Also when i turned the key on and then off to see if the pressure drops fast, it didnt move at first then i actually went up in pressure like to 40psi, to i tapped the pressure release button and it brought it down to 24, then it climbed to 36, this was with the key off!!!!

PLEASE HELP GUYS

about your fuel pressure gauge. when you turn on the car and turn it off. does it go down to 0psi within a few seconds up to a minute or so? or does it hold pressure for a little while
before it finally drops to zero?

every time you put your key on for the first time its really low psi but the second time its higher?

do you have extended cranking issues?

did this idleing issue come out of the blue one day or did you do something and it started after that?

do you have emissions stuff still on your car?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
about your fuel pressure gauge. when you turn on the car and turn it off. does it go down to 0psi within a few seconds up to a minute or so? or does it hold pressure for a little while
before it finally drops to zero?

I sat and watch it for like 30 to 45 seconda and it never went down!!!

every time you put your key on for the first time its really low psi but the second time its higher? Yes thats whats happening

do you have extended cranking issues?Well not at first but if it surges and dies, then it wont start unless i pump the gas some while turning it over

did this idleing issue come out of the blue one day or did you do something and it started after that? It was fine before i had the motor rebuilt, i hid all the wires and shaved the bay, the only thing i i changed was relocated the battery to the hatch, put some 24lbs injectors with matching 80mm pro-m maf and housing. O and i drilled a hole in the bbk throttle body so it wouldnt whistle. other than that nothing else

do you have emissions stuff still on your car?
No all smog and egr are deleted
Old 04-15-2009, 06:19 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

o and i installed a e-cam instead of the b
Old 04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
lx5.0
2nd Gear Member

didnt they just rebuild your motor have you checked to see if maybe you have any vac leaks anywhere my car would idle the same way and do the same things when i had a big vac leak
Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
calfroper_06
4th Gear Member

i just had a long block built and i installed it..Iv looked for vac leaks but cant find any, im going to try something tonight and see if it works...Thanks for the replys, keep the ideas coming fellas
Old 04-15-2009, 07:02 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

iac.?

Quick Reply: Idle problem