5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

First time Mustang owner from KC, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 03:46 PM
88Vic

Arrow First time Mustang owner from KC, couple questions

I just bought an 87 LX 5.0/T5 for a few days now so i'm gonna need some assistance as I don't know a thing about them yet. The first thing I want to know is the specs on my car. I need to know how I figure out what my rear end size and axle ratio is, I used to own an 88 Crown Vic 5.0 (hence the user name) and it said the axle ratio and whatnot on a sticker on the door sill, I didn't see one on my Stang so is there another spot to look?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome! Post some pics of the Fox! ....T5's came with a axle code "M" for 2.73's & code "Z" for 3.08 rear rears (unless someone swapped them out!)

Look on the tag on the rear axle cover as well...
Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM
88Vic

And that's the only place it'll be? Besides a random high idle issue I think that's the only question I have about it for now.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

WELCOME TO MF'S.

Check out the 5.0 section.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by 88Vic
And that's the only place it'll be? Besides a random high idle issue I think that's the only question I have about it for now.
...On the door tag or rear axle cover (tag)...or do it the old fasion way, jack the car up, put the car on jack stands, Rotate the tire ONE complete revolution and count how many times the drive shaft rotates (Mark a bolt on the driveshaft...)

3.08's will have just over 3 full rotations, 2.73's, 2-3/4 rotations....good luck!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 PM
88Vic

I'll go check under the car, if not i'll try the jack thing. Wish my jack was high enough to do that with my truck, it's made to jack up a car just enough to raise the wheels off the ground and change oil I need a new one.

I guess my other questions i'll post in the 5.0 forums.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 PM
rouschripper919

oh it seems you fell into the American way of buying cars; "gee lets slap this big ole engine on this clunker of a chassis. just look beyond the fact that it has no muffler..the rust in the wheel wells too..ITS GOT A V8 BABY!!"
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
88Vic

Heck yeah i'm not gonna waste my time with some little FWD plastic 4 banger except for daily driver duty. I just don't feel safe in a car designed to crumple, every time some idiot has hit me in one of my trucks or American cars the all metal body and frame have protected me even from whiplash, while the plastic cars that hit me aren't so lucky. I was rear ended in my old Vic by a girl driving a 93 Corolla, her and her friend had to be ambulanced to the hospital while I just got jerked around a bit but no damage whatsoever.

I'll stick with my V8 clunker thank you.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
rouschripper919

Originally Posted by 88Vic
Heck yeah i'm not gonna waste my time with some little FWD plastic 4 banger except for daily driver duty. I just don't feel safe in a car designed to crumple, every time some idiot has hit me in one of my trucks or American cars the all metal body and frame have protected me even from whiplash, while the plastic cars that hit me aren't so lucky. I was rear ended in my old Vic by a girl driving a 93 Corolla, her and her friend had to be ambulanced to the hospital while I just got jerked around a bit but no damage whatsoever.

I'll stick with my V8 clunker thank you.
your primary concern with your performance vehicle is its safety? totally irrelevant to the car's performance...or lack of, in this case.

Quick Reply: First time Mustang owner from KC, couple questions