5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

either Colbalt SS stands for super slow or I got lucky

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default either Colbalt SS stands for super slow or I got lucky

so I was out and about today before I went to work...

a yellow Cobalt SS pulls up next to me at a stoplight... he revs a few times I guess to let me know it was supercharged... he then yells to me "whatcha running?" I just answered with "bolt ons..." he then replied "I'll own you"...

now usually I just ignore the knuckle heads, but I was in a good mood so I decided I'd play along... "we'll see, go on green" I replied...

I launched her at 1500, I know low, but I never really launched my car before and I have crappy kuhmos that break loose all the time... I shifted at 4500 each time, my car falls on its face shortly there after... got her up to 75 before I shut down and I had him by prolly 2 cars...

I normally never ever run my car that way on the street, but I dunno, I just went for it... I know what I did was dumb, but it was a one of those 2 lane per side divided highway sorta deals... kinda more like the industrial side of town, no sidewalks or pedestrian traffic...

now are those tin cans just slow or did I get lucky? Ive got pretty much nothing when it comes to serious horsepower increasing mods.... and I have stock gears, suspension and a full weight convertible...
Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

nice kill... they arent overly fast, but can be made pretty quick with minimal work
Old 05-24-2009, 09:55 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
nice kill... they arent overly fast, but can be made pretty quick with minimal work
I raced a stock one when I was stock he had me by 1 car. then I did all this work to mine and he upgraded his blower and got every bolt on plus a tune and i beat him by a few cars, I wasn't impressed. the guy also thought he'd own me. after we raced he accused me of spraying, shoulda saw the look on his face when I popped the hood and no nitrous,
nice kill.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

good kill, stock supercharged ones run in the neighborhood of mid 14s.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The newer ones with turbos are pretty quick.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

The supercharged Cobalts really aren't that fast. There's a red one around here that thinks he has a fast car. He has a decent mod list(says his plaque at the car shows), but he only runs 9.4's@76 in the eighth. He says it has the potential to run high 13's. Whatever! His liscence plate evens says "PASTU" Good kill BTW!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks guys. I was a lil suprised to see him behind me haha I heard the new turbo versions have a lil oomph with them...
Old 05-25-2009, 07:38 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

good kill.

stock head's can be worked with, my car pulls pretty damn hard for full exhaust, and bolt on's, and intake.

even with the car being 3500lb with me in it

so when college is over you gonna mod it some more or whats the plans?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoGo95GT
The supercharged Cobalts really aren't that fast. There's a red one around here that thinks he has a fast car. He has a decent mod list(says his plaque at the car shows), but he only runs 9.4's@76 in the eighth. He says it has the potential to run high 13's. Whatever! His liscence plate evens says "PASTU" Good kill BTW!
my friend had a '06 Cobalt SC with the GMPP Stage 2, stage 3 pulley, full exhaust and a AEM cai and he ran 13.6 @ 103. compare that to that red one's list and it should give you an idea of the car's potential.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
my friend had a '06 Cobalt SC with the GMPP Stage 2, stage 3 pulley, full exhaust and a AEM cai and he ran 13.6 @ 103. compare that to that red one's list and it should give you an idea of the car's potential.
thats what the one i raced had only he had a ported head/blower and cams. but like i said i was not impressed. the new turbo ones run around a high 13 stock.

Quick Reply: either Colbalt SS stands for super slow or I got lucky