5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Best Drag Radial

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:24 PM
89coupe
1st Gear Member

Default Best Drag Radial

Leaning towards et-street radials but haven't used any of them. I already have a set of et street slicks but need something for my 17 inch rims to get better traction on the street. If you have used different brands let me know what you think. any help is appreciated. thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 89coupe
Leaning towards et-street radials but haven't used any of them. I already have a set of et street slicks but need something for my 17 inch rims to get better traction on the street. If you have used different brands let me know what you think. any help is appreciated. thanks guys.
I've tried many tires on a 17 inch rim, absolutely none of them had any traction. Downsizing to 15's for the street due to this. Blew about 2 grand trying to find some tires that would stick, not one of them did
Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I still say cause of the long life the Nitto is the best for the street, obviously not the best hooking at the track though.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Like onyx suggested, if you're looking for a DR that hooks almost like a slick at the track but is still streetable the MT ETs are the way to go, but if you are looking for a tire that will have the longest life on the street, but still be able to perform at the track then go with the Nittos. I've borrowed my buddies MT ETs on 15" prostars to use at the strip, I drove down and back as well as making about 6 passes on them, they worked awesome.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Milton
3rd Gear Member

so you have a set of et streets on another rim and want something for your street rims to hook better on street? did i read that right. if thats the case then id say nitto just for the longer life but either way your not gonna hook to well on the street
Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 PM
89coupe
1st Gear Member

sorry i wasnt too clear. i have a set of et drags on 15 weld rims. I want drag radials that will work better then the regular radials i have on the car now. i'm not expecting to "hook up" on the street but im having trouble even getting traction in third gear. so i just wanted to know what people had the most success with and am just looking for a little bit better performance.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

+1 on the Nittos for street use. i had them on my 17" cobras for a while and they worked nicely on the street. longest life drag radial imo and hook way better than street tires.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by Liquid_02
I've tried many tires on a 17 inch rim, absolutely none of them had any traction. Downsizing to 15's for the street due to this. Blew about 2 grand trying to find some tires that would stick, not one of them did
I have pulled a 1.5x 60 foot on a 17 inch BFG drag radial. This was with my old LS1 Camaro. I would suspect your suspension might have a thing or two to do with it. IMO the M/T is the best hooking drag radial on the market right now. I have used BFG's, Nitto's and the M/T's. Personally I don't think I would waist my money on a Nitto drag radial, unless I only had 3-325 rwhp.

Last edited by JD1969; 08-03-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:43 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well like he said he has slicks for the track already. the m/ts are gonna wear a lot faster. and what do you need to pull 1.5 60's on the street for??
Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by JD1969
I don't think I would waist my money on a Nitto drag radial, unless I only had 3-325 rwhp.
I'm running a set of nitto's on my street wheels. Why nitto's? because I wanted something that I could get some mileage out of, that wouldn't spin while im backing out of my driveway... lol

Ive actually had quite a few chances to put the boots to my nittos since the season started, and I gotta say.. for a "street drag radial" I like them. sure they dont dead hook, but i havent blasted them off the car like the old sumitomo's i was running. Hell, even my Falken Azenis tires just go up in a cloud of glorious smoke. but the nitto's actually grab.

so IMHO. If you are looking for a street tire with some bite... grab the nitto's. If you want a tire to race with on the street.. get BFG's

slicks at the track FTMFW

Quick Reply: Best Drag Radial