5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

E85 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Not anywhere around here
Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

And also, with e85, your gas mileage will be worse. And any rubber pieces in your fuel system need changed.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

It's sold all over up here, which might be partially the reason the rest of the nation has not experimented with it. Lots of farming in MN
Old 09-05-2009, 02:35 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

And the alcohol in the E85 has taken less of a toll on rubber parts in the fuel system than people initially thought it would, in fact I watched a clip last night of a Tahoe that ran 105K on E85, no upgrades what so ever and the fuel system looked better (including the rubber lines) than another tahoe that ran 80K on regular fuel. It went on to a fellow that works at GM who says the only difference between the fuel system for a FFV truck and a regular gas truck these days is the ECU, everything else is the same.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

...not saying we still wouldn't need upgrades, the Tahoe may have been the one exception in a million, this is something that time will just have to sort out
Old 09-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

I don't see E85 being sold anywhere here.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

this **** water 93 octane around here with 10% ethanol ****s up everything it comes into contact with that has a carb.

What gets me, is that the stations that sell pure gasoline are cheaper than the ones that have the ethanol. You go to paying 10 cents more a gallon for gas and it makes your gas mileage go down. wtf????
Old 09-05-2009, 08:31 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
this **** water 93 octane around here with 10% ethanol ****s up everything it comes into contact with that has a carb.

What gets me, is that the stations that sell pure gasoline are cheaper than the ones that have the ethanol. You go to paying 10 cents more a gallon for gas and it makes your gas mileage go down. wtf????
Really? I ran 10% Ethanol in my 69 Super Bee for years, as well as my 72 Nova, 70 Cutlass, and a few trucks that were carbed. I had no ill effects at all. The whole rubber thing is pretty much false. It stems from when people run METHanol in a car. Ethanol and methanol are two very different alcohols. There have been several cars that I have been following for a number of years that have switched to E85, with nothing other than a tune and fuel pump/injector upgrades and they have been fine. For you guys outside the mid west, yes E85 is hard to find, around here it is very easy to get. As for the mileage comment, yes you will get less MPG, but for people who car about performance first, this is of little concern. It is a TON cheaper to run E85 than 105+ octane race gas, even with the reduced mpg's of E85.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:21 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I not just talking about cars... lawnmowers, tractors and 4 wheelers too. I have only seen one carb need a few replacement parts. It had gas leaking out of it.

I don't like it in the gas. It doesn't do anything but hurt performance either. A lot of cars ping on 87 where as they don't with the pure 87. The 10 percent is nothing but bs so we have to buy more fuel.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:29 PM
ColdCityMustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mattdel
show me a forced induction system for a 4 cylinder import capable of producing that much boost, and i'll show you a block with hundreds of holes in it.
Also, youtube "fastest eclipse." You're still right, he's not running 50 psi...hes upwards of 90.

For everyone else, I sucessfully changed the car over to E85 today. Was actually quite easy...little bit of street tuning and shes spot on. Injector duty cycle is at 95% at about 5400rpms (thats with 42# injectors). Still room for improvment but honestly that was skeptically easy?

Quick Reply: E85 anyone?