5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Transmission design

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:31 AM
baddestmofo
1st Gear Member

Cool Transmission design

Who knows about putting some different gears in an AOD?

I've read that this can be done, and for what I have in mind for this car I'm determined to find out about it. (gear clusters/ custom gear cluster...)

Any experience, referal, or other contribution to my quest for the knowledge would be appreciated.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

you can put the 4r70w gear set in an aod. it lowers the gear ratio in 1st and second. leaving 3rd and OD the same
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM
baddestmofo
1st Gear Member

That's what I'm talkin' about.

The gears in the 4r70w are sweet, but I would still go a little bit lower in 3rd and maybe even in 2nd, too, if I could.

I've talked to a couple full time tranny guys and I'm not making any progress beyond the 4r70w cluster gear... not getting a good feeling about this topic.

NEED MORE INFO!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

3rd is always 1:1 youll never find a lower 3rd gear. if the gears arent low enough with the 4r70w gear set, you can still change the gears in the axle.

what are you trying to build? usually only the lowest of hp cars need tons of gearing
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 PM
baddestmofo
1st Gear Member

Ima find out tomorrow if this tranny is up for a rebuild or not when I get this new tailshaft bushing on there.

If that thing is comin' apart, the least I will do is put that 4r70w cluster in there- here is my thinking: I love the 3.27 rear cuz I can do like 70 at about 2200 rpms. And I drive ALOT of miles. (I've only put a few long days in on this thing so far, but that's just 'cuz there's a few things that need to be dealt with immediately)

Also, I can't go anywhere in this thing without everybody and their mom talkin' about how bad a$$ a 5.0 mustang is. There's a little too much pull, SO I GOTSTA REPRESENT!

It just has to be fast on the street.

But I don't wanna lose the capacity to drive the damn thing across the country if I want to. It's a must to be able to go far, and I don't feel right drivin' all day on the interstate at a higher engine speed than what I am.

If I tear into that tranny I'd like it put back together better off than it is.

I'm also thinkin' about that TCI sizzler converter. It's only a couple hundred rpm difference, but that's better than none without tappin' into my cruise speeds. Seems to me it might be cool if I could gear down the low ones and step up the stall just a bit.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:13 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddestmofo
Ima find out tomorrow if this tranny is up for a rebuild or not when I get this new tailshaft bushing on there.

If that thing is comin' apart, the least I will do is put that 4r70w cluster in there- here is my thinking: I love the 3.27 rear cuz I can do like 70 at about 2200 rpms. And I drive ALOT of miles. (I've only put a few long days in on this thing so far, but that's just 'cuz there's a few things that need to be dealt with immediately)

Also, I can't go anywhere in this thing without everybody and their mom talkin' about how bad a$$ a 5.0 mustang is. There's a little too much pull, SO I GOTSTA REPRESENT!

It just has to be fast on the street.

But I don't wanna lose the capacity to drive the damn thing across the country if I want to. It's a must to be able to go far, and I don't feel right drivin' all day on the interstate at a higher engine speed than what I am.

If I tear into that tranny I'd like it put back together better off than it is.

I'm also thinkin' about that TCI sizzler converter. It's only a couple hundred rpm difference, but that's better than none without tappin' into my cruise speeds. Seems to me it might be cool if I could gear down the low ones and step up the stall just a bit.
well i dont think half that post was in english but the parts i do understand was is your lack of understanding how a stall converter works. the aod is a lock up tranny. that means you can run a 4000rpm stall and it wont effect your crusing rpms at all because the tranny locks to the motor in 3rd and 4th, which basically takes the converter out of the equation all together. any stall that is just above stock is a complete waste of money. off the shelf converters are garbage. if your cheap and you decide to go with a off the shelf converter, go with at least 3500rpm because they never stall as high as they claim
Old 09-23-2009, 08:59 AM
baddestmofo
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
well i dont think half that post was in english but the parts i do understand was is your lack of understanding how a stall converter works. the aod is a lock up tranny. that means you can run a 4000rpm stall and it wont effect your crusing rpms at all because the tranny locks to the motor in 3rd and 4th, which basically takes the converter out of the equation all together. any stall that is just above stock is a complete waste of money. off the shelf converters are garbage. if your cheap and you decide to go with a off the shelf converter, go with at least 3500rpm because they never stall as high as they claim

In fact- I presumed this car did NOT have the lock-up thing goin' on. Pardon my insolence.

That changes my perspective on things quite a bit...