5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Whine, sounds like a supercharger...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ponyboy88
weak links- you got a car that is a great platform, but was built cheap by ford.

My suggestion is stiffen the body as you have no frame, convert to 4 disk, upgrade the rear diff cover, bearings, and gears, put a blower on it if you want more power and upgrade the suspension (bare minimum, coils, shocks and struts, lower control arms)

And, with the gears your power will kick in earlier, so you could be a little more gentle on the tranny and launch a little lower in the rpms.
Thank you, that's very helpful info.

As far as I understand the upper front strut bar is fine, so I need a rear one and both front and rear lower strut bars and that's enough?

Originally Posted by 86HOGT
But I do agree on the T-5 making the noise most likely.
Ok, but are those trannies known to mike whining noise or does it mean that I have to do a bearing swap ASAP?

By searching T5 I found a video that illustrates the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9u9wsSl3Sc

But so far it only whines on acceleration. So I have no idea how bad it is. Some gearboxes just tend to whine and you can do nothing about them, no amount of new bearings will fix them.

Last edited by Madman_DSM; 09-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 AM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

my buddys car sounded like the video above,but was louder and it was a gear inside that had some chunks missing out of it.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM
xxxmustangtxhc
2nd Gear Member

So if its a DD why r u Drifting it and Launching it at 4-5k RPMs....STOCK... that is the most ridiculous thing i have heard. A new Motor, Tranny, Rear End better be in ur budget
Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well when i first got my car i drove it like i stole... old worn out engine lasted maybe 4 months, my transmission went right after the rebuild, the rear end was making horrific noises, my tires were shot. uh the list goes on and on.

I finally realized its not a car to just rape if its basically stock. Its old... thats the thing. Without replacing gaskets or rebuilding it and giving it hell everywhere you go is just asking for stuff to start breaking.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:31 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

good lord that that T5 is noisy!! sounds like straight cut gears, lol. plus that thing needs rear end gears...anyone notice how long it took him to get through that gear?!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxxmustangtxhc
So if its a DD why r u Drifting it and Launching it at 4-5k RPMs....STOCK... that is the most ridiculous thing i have heard.
Because I wanted RWD car I can drift, since I can't do that with DSM. I am totally against BMW (local culture, don't ask). I think that Stangs are also beautiful and V8 sound nice. And I wanted to have a car from rival camp for comparison And also, with STIs, Evo's, Lexus, 540s, Land rovers here, Mustang is simply sloooow if you don't launch it @4k RMPs from standing start. And I just love to drive the car, not just look at it.

Originally Posted by Hollister Hoodlum
Well when i first got my car i drove it like i stole... old worn out engine lasted maybe 4 months, my transmission went right after the rebuild, the rear end was making horrific noises, my tires were shot. uh the list goes on and on.
That doesn't sound very nice I had zero problems driving 96' DSM for two years pushing everything out of it, tested 7000RPM launches, burnouts, how it behaves when you spin past 7500 RPMs, launched it from every corner and stop and so on. Aside from few bushings and bent rims, because of potholes, everything was trouble free. And it had a twice the miles the stang has now, when I brought it.

The problems began when I started to do some HP upgrades and shredded the stock diff, which is basically a POS. I skimped on an LSD, rebuilt the tranny again, and blew the second stock diff into bits.

But that was the stuff I was prepared for, if it's stock you can drive a car like you stole it, but as soon as you start to mod, there are chances you might get a chain reaction of breaking parts if you forget to do something first. The skimping on LSD was my mistake. And i don't want to repeat my mistakes with Mustang, so I'm asking you guys for an advice.

So, since the winter is coming I decided to leave the 1k$ diff for the next season and get some RWD fun for a change. But if you say the 4 months might be enough to destroy half of the parts on stang I'm kinda wondering why everyone is laughing about "unreliable" DSMs...

Well at least the good news is that the mechanic with whom I'm building my cars has been rebuilding gearboxes for a very long time now. And as I understand Stang gearboxes are less PITA to remove. I will ask him what he thinks about a rebuild and see how much is it likely going to cost me.

And if I understood it correctly, more aggressive gears are a straight way to big problems, right?

But I really like the Mustang for what it is, the raw, untamed American power. I would really like to make it somehow reliable for all the RWD fun stuff.

Last edited by Madman_DSM; 09-30-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 AM
300F150
1st Gear Member

They are saying this car is not invincible if you drive it like a mainiac. My friend had an acura 1.6 and drove it to the ground for six months before he blew his engine. So lets not get started on reliabilty of dsm vs domestic. But seriously you will need a lot of work to drift in a mustang... They swing like a pendulum once the back end comes loose on a stock suspension. Good luck with drifting.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300F150
But seriously you will need a lot of work to drift in a mustang... They swing like a pendulum once the back end comes loose on a stock suspension. Good luck with drifting.
The aim is not to compete for the 1st places in the championship, so I don't want to spend thousands of dollars into the setup.

Will the stock engine, stock tranny and stock suspension with few supporting mods suffice?

That is without some serious stage 2 upgrades like rebuilt gearbox, forged internals, ARP bolts all around.

But with only a few supporting mods. Like strut tower bars, diff cover, lightweight flywheel (this one should take the stress off the tranny, right)?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:40 PM
zippo2341
2nd Gear Member

Your asking alot out of a car that is not a well known drift platform. Alot of guys arent gonna take it to serious either when you come accross the way that you did in your first few posts. you can still retry on a few other forums though if you want, like allfordmustangs.com stangnet.com moddedmustang.com i hate to say it this way but you pretty much been labled as of now, everyones gonna see madman DSM and automatically know who you are and know exactlly what they are gonna tell you. Im not trying to be a d**k myself but rather let you know your stand point on this site as of now. By the way i owned a GST and there is no comparrison between that and my present car, however if thats your game and you know all about it nice but dont spin it off her it thats a big NO NO

Quick Reply: Whine, sounds like a supercharger...