5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0 in winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Madman_DSM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jfsram
The only issue is tires. Most of us are on summer performance radials and that's the problem, not the fact it's rear wheel drive.

I like to wait until the very last minute to swap to snows.
Well, I've noticed that when the temperature is close to freezing point, winter tires grip better, so it's better to change them faster.

And summer tires are nightmare if you get caught in snow or ice.

Originally Posted by Jfsram
I drive mine all year around too but if a front drive car is in your budget, it will save your Mustang from rust and the higher potential for an accident.
Well, I have another project car for summer, and even though Mustang is very fun to drive I would like to keep it more or less stock and as a rain/snow daily driver.

Originally Posted by Styg
If you are spinning for 100ft from the stoplight in the rain, you are obviously mashing gas.
Yea, for the last few weeks I've been mashing it to get used to fishtailing/drifting and RWD driving, on wide open roads when no-one is around.

I'm trying to get used to how it behaves now, so that I don't get surprised when the first snow falls out, or the water on roads turns into ice.

So far the thing that I'm not very comfortable with, is when you mash on the gas and the back end starts to travel in the direction of the slope and there is a curb nearby. You can compensate with the steering as much as you like, but the rear end still gets more sideways. And lifting off completely or keeping the accelerator pressed doesn't work, and accurately working the throttle is tricky.

In the rain it's seems ok to let of the gas completely, but I have a feeling it will be bad in snow because of the weight transfer.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:27 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Tires. I drive mine in the mountain snow during the winter. You need at least good all-seasons with a decent light snow/ice rating, which are preferable if you live in an area where you only get periodic snowfall, they're not the best for light snow, but work on dry pavement(even cold). Otherwise, winter/snow tires and swap them on when it's snowy/icey out. A 5.0 with snow tires on it will outperform a 4x4 truck with summer tires.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:19 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Get another car, the salt and snow and road crap alone just kills the car in the winter. I drove my 98' through 2 winters. Horrible. Probobly cuz I had p315 summitomo summer tires on the back. But yea try pushing your car on a unplowed turnpike with no one in the driverseat to get it goin. and 50 mph sideways with traffic all around you. I bought a Jeep wrangler with 4x4 and 32'' tires halfway through the second winter as my beater and never regreted it since. do your car and yourself a favor

Jay
Old 10-12-2009, 09:23 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

The 5.0L cars are very light in the rear, which is where you need the most weight for traction.

Dozen sand bags and studded snows on all four corners or don't even bother driving.

I crashed my '93 on black ice. Don't be another victim!
Old 10-17-2009, 07:19 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

Unhappy

no problem if your winter driving is done in florida. russian roulette to drive the 5.0 in the snow. that is aka as endangering the welfare of a mustang. don't do it.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:43 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

i drove my last two 5.0's through winters here in Mass. Not fun. I recall one time leaving work, meant to take a left at the stop sign but i ended up going right... needless to say it wasn't exactly fun.

Studded snow tires, or if your state allows, chains. Sandbags, etc..
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Studless ice and snow tires outperform any studded or chained tire, period. Here in California, the state transportation dept wills hut down severe mountain roads in the winter to everything except snow tire equipped cars or in severe cases, 4x4 with snow tires only, but they'll require snow tires one way or another. The studless ice an snow are also what the WRC guys run when they race on snow, but they're also AWD and they know how to drive.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I drove a 5.0 for years in the NE winters....Just get good snow tires all the way around for the best results!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

300lbs of sand bags in the hatch and snow tires and ull be fine. i was cruising by cars in the snow and it handled and stopped fine. SNOW TIRES or ur not gonna move anywhere
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
LT61
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
leave the 5.0 at home when it snows, trust me
+1 Definately not a car for the winter

Quick Reply: 5.0 in winter