5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Little input on a 347 build

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 AM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Never said you mentioned a 408. I did when I replied to your post lol. If I go 351 I am going to have to rebuild it any way so I figure I would go with a 408.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:49 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

sounds like you already know whats best. go with the one you want
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Well if I had the money then it would for sure be the 351 stroked to a 408. I figure it will be cheaper to go with a 347 built for street. I wont have to pay for the swap, the new block and whatever else is needed for a 351 swap. I was thinking it would be cheaper to use my block and stay familiar. This is why I am asking for 347 set ups. I have been doing alot of reading on both set ups. I figure with my experiance and funds that a 347 build is in my range of experiance and money range. If someone can prove a 351/408 stroker will be cheaper please provide that proof. If I go with a 408 my minimum hp number isnt going to be 400 anymore lol. I figured a 400 hp is a doable dd.

So can someone please refer me to a few 347 set ups that are in the 400 hp area with some nice torque numbers too.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

or you could do a 306 get some cheap heads and throw some boost at it if you are wanting something cheap on the wallet
Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 AM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

I have pondered that idea but I am way over the efi on this car. I came to realize the previous loser who onwed the car took alot of short cuts and got away with little things like the spout connector. Just alot of little things that make the car drive but effect the performance. Intake and suck are the same so I figure I can start from scratch and go carbed. I havent seen to many people go with a cintrifical blower with a carb. I would be interested so see people who have though. Can I get some info on that?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by jmh87chpnotch
I have pondered that idea but I am way over the efi on this car. I came to realize the previous loser who onwed the car took alot of short cuts and got away with little things like the spout connector. Just alot of little things that make the car drive but effect the performance. Intake and suck are the same so I figure I can start from scratch and go carbed. I havent seen to many people go with a cintrifical blower with a carb. I would be interested so see people who have though. Can I get some info on that?
i personally know someone running twin turbo's on a carb... its not very hard
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Does paxton or vortech make kits for a carb set up. I have only seen kits for sale new or used only for efi. Is the piping sold seperatly that way I can only buy a head unit?
Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

If your going to do a 347 now, and then upgrade to a s/c, then you won't be able to use any factory blocks, not even the mexican block. those are stronger than normal roller blocks but its far from a dart or boss. to get atleast 400 hp I'd recommend a healthy cam, preferably custom ground, a nice set of heads plus port work, ex: afr 205's, tf fac, or even canfield 195's(i always gotta throw those in haha). get a niiiiice intake and you should reach your goal. ditch the t5 as that wont last long. I started out with a completly stock '95 and did a 347, tko3550, built up my rear, and did a few tasteful suspension upgrades and I have 12k into my car. And that 12k includes paying for 2 other motors that ended up blowing up, if I would of went carb in the first place I'd prolly have around 8k into everything, so having a 10k budget leaves you some play room. that extra 2k would be about enough for a boss block and machine work
Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
If your going to do a 347 now, and then upgrade to a s/c, then you won't be able to use any factory blocks, not even the mexican block. those are stronger than normal roller blocks but its far from a dart or boss. to get atleast 400 hp I'd recommend a healthy cam, preferably custom ground, a nice set of heads plus port work, ex: afr 205's, tf fac, or even canfield 195's(i always gotta throw those in haha). get a niiiiice intake and you should reach your goal. ditch the t5 as that wont last long. I started out with a completly stock '95 and did a 347, tko3550, built up my rear, and did a few tasteful suspension upgrades and I have 12k into my car. And that 12k includes paying for 2 other motors that ended up blowing up, if I would of went carb in the first place I'd prolly have around 8k into everything, so having a 10k budget leaves you some play room. that extra 2k would be about enough for a boss block and machine work
Thanks for the info there. I wasnt wanting to supercharge at all. Someone just threw the idea at me. I am just wanting a nice healthy 347 for now. Above the 400 hp for sure. I am not a big fan of autos. Really boring to drive. I was thinking of going with a t56 swap.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:44 PM
jmh87chpnotch
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
O by the way how much power did your set up make?

Quick Reply: Little input on a 347 build