5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

no compression on one side

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM
ericbhn

Unhappy no compression on one side

I am far from a mechanic but thinking about trying to learn by doing. I have a 1990 Mustang Gt with various motor work done to it. It was bought from a dealer with no records from what I can see it has a powerdyne supercharger, larger throttle body and new exhaust. I had it taken in to a Ford dealer mechanic via a friend who ended up doing a compression test on it. He said it had no compression on one side of the motor. I have spoke with various people on possible problems and wonder how difficult it may be to find and fix. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Well, did you buy it messed up or did it mess up when you drove it? Did he say it had 0psi all the whole side of the motor or no as in low compression? It could be multiple issues with multiple answers. It could be anything from a blown head gasket to bent valves to melted pistons (because of the supercharger). All at different difficulties to fix.

We need more info on how and what happend when it stopped working if you can. Most likely its going to be a tear down and inspect kind of thing.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Darn the luck man. The engine nedds to be taken apart. Very careful attention to why?? If not the same problem will occur. Please post what is found.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:15 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

your tellin' me the ford mechanic couldn't finish off the diagnosis?? wtf?? send his ace to jiffy lube to change oil, first he needs to perform a leakdown test to see where it is losing compression, if it's out the valves it may have overreved and bent the valves or jumped time due to a bad /worn chain, anyway , that's where I'd further the diagnosis too
Old 10-25-2009, 09:15 AM
ericbhn

Cool thanks

thanks for the quick response, the damage happened while driving and the ford mechanic said no compression on one side. he is more of a new car mechanic and was just doing a favor on the side at the dealership. he said if he worked on that kind of car on the side up there it would draw to much attention. i have a couple more mechanic options and am leaning toward using somebody. i heard fuel to air ratio is tricky with the supercharger if it was something i could find broken and could fix i think i would try it. trying to test and diagnose with limited experience and tools worrys me. i got this picture in my head of a car torn apart in my garage and me still wondering what is wrong.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:33 AM
ericbhn

Default pics

made an album but can't get them on the thread