5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What's this mustang worth?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 AM
DMC-4OOEX

Default What's this mustang worth?

I'm looking at a 91.

91, Notchback 5.0 LX 5-speed. Around 80k miles. Longtube headers, Mac exhaust all the way back. Catless. Has frame connectors (or whatever those frame strengthing things are called) strut tower brace, aftermarket suspension, MSD ignition, custom paint job with ghost flames and mild body kit. Cowl hood.

Had supercharged motor which blew, so he replaced it with a stock 302. Claims the engine only had 60k on it when he bought it. Looks very clean, and runs excellent. So I don't think that's an issue.
Car has 3.90 gears.

So all in all, it looks pretty decent and mechanically the car is in great shape. Shifts through all the gears, pulls hard, sounds good, VERY tight for a 5.0 (Probably due to the frame stiffeners) and starts right up.

The BAD.
Car was in an accident in the past. The front end. The two sides of the engine compartment, are kinda crinkled. Due to this the front body kit doesn't quite line up with all the bolt holes either. (I can make new holes, not a problem. But is the front frame ok like this? The car was very tight and drove straight)
It was missing some of the AC components and lines.
Some rust is JUST starting to bubble up a little, on the one rear fender and abover the body kit on the rear bumper. Doesn't appear to be any rust underneath the body kit of body.
Needs tires
Door Hinges are worn and need to be replaced.

The lowest I got him to is 2800 but he's considering my 2700 offer. Just wondering what this thing is actually worth. It's very tight and smooth, and mechanically great. Guy had some money in it. Even looks pretty good. But between the front frame being crinkled, and the rust starting to bubble out ever so slightly, I don't know.

I need to know real soon. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!
Old 10-31-2009, 12:10 PM
DMC-4OOEX

Anyone? I really need to know soon. I just don't know what this thing is worth as im new to Ford's.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
benleonheart

Default Hey...

I have an account at another Mustang Forum, and... I registered here just to reply to your thread.

I had almost the same issue a year ago when I bought my 2001 V6.

The car was in an accident, but it drove straight, tight, and neat.
The rest was just ... well... about the money I had to buy it, and the money I had/have to invest on it.

I dare say that, while I read your post, you're quite intrigued in this... Saying "aww.. I want it But it has this, and went through this... BUT IT RUNS GOOD AND ITS TIGHT AND..."
well

that says it all, the car's in your heart already, buy it, and enjoy it
Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 PM
DMC-4OOEX

Thanks, lol.

But I mean, was the two sides of your engine compartment a little crinkled like this one? I'm afraid it'll affect the structural integrity of the unibody up front...
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
benleonheart

Well, my car had the passenger side of the hood rammed... so it looks crinkly (fiberglass was used to make it look "smooth" but they didnt fool me) xD... the car doesnt line up as it should, but thats just a minor detail, i can get it pulled again so it would straight up again... until now i havnt had any issues with that.. really...
Old 10-31-2009, 12:42 PM
benleonheart

and when i say rammed on the hood i meant, right spoiler and right side of hood...
Old 10-31-2009, 12:58 PM
97GTCovert

Honestly I would not buy something like that unless you want problems later on or you plan on getting it pulled and straightened.If the front frame rail crush zones were damaged,then I'm sure that other crush zones in the car were damaged as well.
There are plently of notchbacks out there and there are some nice ones,just depends do you want one to work on or do you want one to drive with no problems?
Its all up to you,but I personally would not buy.just my 2 cents
Old 10-31-2009, 01:57 PM
DMC-4OOEX

Originally Posted by 97GTCovert
Honestly I would not buy something like that unless you want problems later on or you plan on getting it pulled and straightened.If the front frame rail crush zones were damaged,then I'm sure that other crush zones in the car were damaged as well.
There are plently of notchbacks out there and there are some nice ones,just depends do you want one to work on or do you want one to drive with no problems?
Its all up to you,but I personally would not buy.just my 2 cents

The rest of the car is absolutely fine and straight, just the front end has a little crinkles.
I've done a lot of searching, and they're either over my price range and nice, or in my price range and BEAT in some sense or another. Honestly this one is probably the nicest in-between i've seen. At least the driveline and mechanicals are all good.

If they can be pulled and straightened, how much is that normally? If that's the case, I might get it, drive it a year or two, then look into getting that done.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM
benleonheart

Cars can be pulled and straightened yes, but...
I'm sorry to say that I have no idea what prices you guys have at the U.S.... here in Honduras, hand labor is cheap... or it can be expensive... depends...

Most mechanics here will straighten for cheap but just to "get your car out of the way", usally they have a queue of like 20 cars... others will charge u more, but they usually do a good job...

Straightening + paint usually is charged for what parts are being "Retouched", painted, straightened, pulled or created... a full paint job on a non-renowed paint center, or "anywhere u can find" someone that can do it , will charge like lps.6000 ~ lps. 15000 depends on experience and things like that... that comes up to like 200 ~700 dollars. but its the full thing we're talking about, straightening, pulling, polishing, fiberglass, industrial clay... etc...
Old 10-31-2009, 02:21 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

any pics of the car

Quick Reply: What's this mustang worth?