5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

to cat or not to cat

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Foxbody87
1st Gear Member

Default to cat or not to cat

Got a cat'd H or X pipe i 4get, will i notice Any power gains goin to an off-road X pipe and how much different will the sound be.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

With cats, it's legal and will pass state inspection. The other way, it's not and wont.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Foxbody87
1st Gear Member

so you sayin thats the only difference?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Well no, but it's probably the most important difference? What would be the point of having a car you can't drive on the street? Just trying to give you sound advice. Of course you're free to do as you wish.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:10 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
With cats, it's legal and will pass state inspection. The other way, it's not and wont.
is that the only thing you're worried about,if so you don't even belong on this site.He should know it's illegal since their called offroad pipes not on road.to the op it'll give you a few more hp and it'll make the car louder
Old 11-05-2009, 06:23 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
is that the only thing you're worried about,if so you don't even belong on this site.He should know it's illegal since their called offroad pipes not on road.to the op it'll give you a few more hp and it'll make the car louder
Didn't want to see the guy spend all that dough and then not be able to get the car to pass inspection, not being able to drive the car. Trying to save the guy hassle. Sowwwwy!
Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
mustangsneverdie
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RogerDodger1
Didn't want to see the guy spend all that dough and then not be able to get the car to pass inspection, not being able to drive the car. Trying to save the guy hassle. Sowwwwy!
if he doesn't live where they do inspection then he doesn't have to worry about it,q and if he does then he can keep his old one and put it on when he has to go get inspected. thats what a lot of people do
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 PM
RogerDodger1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsneverdie
if he doesn't live where they do inspection then he doesn't have to worry about it,q and if he does then he can keep his old one and put it on when he has to go get inspected. thats what a lot of people do
I've never lived in Virginia, but with that state's archaic and severe anti-radar detector laws and other such automotive nonsense, I have a strong suspicion they have state inspections. Plugs, it's risking a $4,500 fine, 30 days in jail, or both.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
jkrum10238
2nd Gear Member

just keep your stock pipe around to get that pretty sticker on the window every few years
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

honestly a mid pipe is so easy to swap. i have both a catted h-pipe and an o/r h-pipe. i rock the o/r all year long til it was time for inspection. but now that mass doesnt require emissions for 95 and below i dont even bother swapping it n e more.

an o/r pipe will net you a few more ponies up top but loose a little low end torque oh and it will be slightly louder too

Quick Reply: to cat or not to cat