5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

help me pick my next mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default help me pick my next mod

hokay so,

I am thinking its time to do something to the stang again, last mod I did was the strange 10 ways back in.... july? and fixing the ashtray door wasnt enough... I plan on doing the mod in the next month if all is good $$ wise.

so here are some ideas, trying to keep it around or less than 300 bucks
and the mods I want wont be changed later down the road, i hate wasting money and HAAATTTEEE doing stuff twice... I have been hunting on ebay and corral for used parts... so I have some ways to save money on some lightly used junk

so here are some ideas Ive had

1. MSD digital 6+ ignition. someone on corral is selling one for 200 bucks with the fox pigtail.. how does this box work? will it work in the future with a boosted application? or will I need that adapter box??

2. gears and a rear end girdle. seen 3:73 gear sets selling for cheapish lately... I know my local shop will rape me on the install cuz I am sure my trac lok will need a rebuild while its all apart...

3. convertible headliner, the part itself is 150, and CJ pony parts wants over 200 bucks for an install, expensive, but they did my top 2 years ago and it was outstanding work.... so I'd like to go back to them

4. lowering springs, want some H&R super sports.... I know I'll need some CC plates, and bumpsteer kit... but my birthday is in march, so I can probably get away with running without them for a few months, if I keep an eye on my tires...

5. Max Motorsports adj. rear lower control arms. these may break the bank... but Ive seen them for sale on CJ ponyparts.... sooo. and these wont go anywhere so Its a one time drop the cash, I'll take the higher cost due to the fact that I want full suspension adjustability

6. hold off directly modding the car and piece together a sn95 lug swap. no way I am paying 2.5K for the ford racing kit...

7. junkyard search for some GT40 heads and an intake... I wanna do an HCI and throw a kenne bell on the car... and I think that combo will allow me to make around 400 hp on a stock block... but the kenne bell will come within the next 2 years... not in the budget now

8. do some resto as in rebuild the rear window motors and tracks, cuz the windows rattle and are "loose" and she could use new weatherstripping in a few places and maybe a new carpet and some sound deadening

now if anyone has any other ideas... feel free to throw them around...
Old 11-14-2009, 04:48 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

#2 sounds good to me but so does # 6. I pieced my conversion kit together for about 600 bucks rims included(got my bullitts for 100$!!). WAAY better that that 2 and 3k kit crap.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:52 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

PM me about some 3.73s if you're interested
Old 11-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

^^^ give me two weeks to decide. been sitting on a few ideas for a few weeks. once I figure out where my $$$ is at and what I am doing for winter break (still in college and can either work at home or stay down at school) I can make up my mind on what I want to do
Old 11-14-2009, 05:40 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

my car never needed a convertible headliner but for the money doing gears was the most impressive mod I've done, gears are so good i wish i would have done them first.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelty
^^^ give me two weeks to decide. been sitting on a few ideas for a few weeks. once I figure out where my $$$ is at and what I am doing for winter break (still in college and can either work at home or stay down at school) I can make up my mind on what I want to do
alright lmk i'll make you a good deal. they are just sitting in my computer room
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

gears ruined my car... no traction at all ever since. i guess i was so used to chirping gears with the 2.73's lol
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

I would say gears 3.55s.........and what about some underdrive pulleys there're cheap enough?
Old 11-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

3:73s are one of the more optimal gears for the 5 speeds... as I heard

and I have pullies were on the car when I bought them

I want a lil more ***** or some better handling, I mean this car is no slouch, but I think she is a factory 2.73 geared car. my cruise speed at 65 is around 2,000 rpm
Old 11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

my car cruised at 80mph just breaking 2000rpm's with the old 2.73s

Quick Reply: help me pick my next mod