5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

5.0L Build - Break in / Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
ikka

Default 5.0L Build - Break in / Supercharger

Hello guys,
I have been building up a 308 shortblock for some time now.
I am nearly finished with the assembly and have some questions about break in.
I have 42# injectors with the proper mass air meter. Trick flow heads and intake. I am going to buy the vortec sci trim supercharger, 5-6psi.

This motor is brand new and will need to go through a break in period.
I know how to break in a naturally aspirated motor but this blower motor im unsure about. Should I run the car initially without the blower setup on?
If I break it in naturally aspirated i would imagine the 42# injectors and calibrated mass air will be too much, I have a fuel pressure regulator that I could tune down but then it will not match up to the 42# calibrated mass air meter.
Alternatively should I install the supercharger prior to the first start and go through the break in with the blower installed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also any suggestions on an msd box for the blower setup would be nice.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:52 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you need to have it tuned. i dont see "tune" anywhere in your post.

you need to take your car through the upper RPM range initially to seat the rings.

once tuned...let her rip! roller motors dont have break in time, just be easy for a few miles until you're sure there is no issues with any of your equipment.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM
ikka

Originally Posted by FivePointOhh
you need to have it tuned. i dont see "tune" anywhere in your post.

you need to take your car through the upper RPM range initially to seat the rings.

once tuned...let her rip! roller motors dont have break in time, just be easy for a few miles until you're sure there is no issues with any of your equipment.
Your right i didnt even mention tune. I was more worried about it even starting that tuning.

So after i drop the motor in and bolt the blower up I should just trailer it to a shop and have them tune it before I even start it up?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

when we did the turbo build with my neighbor we played around with self tuning at home with FP and twisting the MAF housing. its was futile. bolt her up and take it down to get her tuned.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
ikka

Thanks for the tip. We have a nice shop right down the road its big daddy dwaynes shop.

Also thanks for the info no roller cams not needing break in. Everyone is telling me i have to run it for 20 mins at 2k rpm, but after some research that only applies to flat tappet lifters.
Well im excited now thanks a ton.

Any suggestion on ignition.
Im thinking 6al-2 and a standard msd distributor.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you;ll want some kind of high output coil/box...lots of people experience spark blow out with higher boost numbers, but i also know people who run crazy high boost on stock ignition. so a box and coil wouldnt be a bad idea.

just keep in mind with a fresh motor you have to seat the rings. dont beat on the motor, just take it through the rpm range to get a good seat and have nice cylinder pressure numbers. you dont want blow by on a blown motor or you'll be rebuilding it again.

question though....why 308? walls gettin pretty thin