5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

ok help is needed(upgrading engine)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

Default ok help is needed(upgrading engine)

ok i have posted other threads and seem to end up at a dead end

now im stuck because of a cam(easy part to get over)
hardest part is the heads

i want to build a reliable engine that i can beat on and make 400+hp
yet still be street legal

boost seems to be the easy way out

i really would feel more comfortable if the engine it self was strong

stuck at afr 185s and notching pistons

plan was/is to do a h/c/i then shortblock(preferably a stroker 347) looking at ford strokers and dss

i actually feel better going with the heads and cam as first mod
for one i want some progress to get started
and 2 i want to up the horses kicking in my engine
a intake manifold is cheap and easy
the heads and cam i cant just slap on in a few hours in my drive way(was gona take it to the shop unless i start felling more comfortable about the cam the heads i am comfortable with)

then it the notching pistons(do i just drop my block off at the machine shop?)
and about how much does this usually run

need a cam that will be street legal yet so the job (custom grind is something i have been seeing alot)and taking to consideration

now only head i have been reading about are the twisted wedges (dont require piston notching)i have not looked into these heads yet.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM
AYEOH5.0
3rd Gear Member

400hp can be obtained with the right 347. boost a stock blocked 347 and the block is a hand grenade with the pin pulled.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

If you're trying to make those numbers without boosting and you're spending that kind of money, you might as well build a 408 stroker out of a 351 and be done with it. Lots more potential in that direction for around the same cost.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:57 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Sounds like you want to do this right... I would use the Trickflow FAST AS CAST heads on your 302 and not look back! They'll also be plenty good to feed a stroker car as well. These heads out perform AFR 185s, & they utilize the same valve angles as the Twisted Wedge head... so you MIGHT not even have to wind up notching your pistons. BUT - checking your PTV clearance is always a must. Hookup with Ed Curtis or Jay Allen for the valve train tailored to what you HAVE, what you PLAN on having, and what you WANT, and i think you'll have one bad ride.

Last edited by XPBaller; 12-09-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I'D DO AN H/C/I 302 and throw a 5-6 lbs charger on it, if you aren't close to 400 rwhp I'd be suprised, this is what I will soon do once all the bugs are worked out of my h/c/i 306 in my 89
Old 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
I'D DO AN H/C/I 302 and throw a 5-6 lbs charger on it, if you aren't close to 400 rwhp I'd be suprised, this is what I will soon do once all the bugs are worked out of my h/c/i 306 in my 89
yupyup.... There's many ways to get there, just gotta choose the way that suits you [:
Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

This is also the route I wanted to do on my car when it had a 302 in it. This would save you quite a few pennies and not put an overwhelming amount of pressure on the block.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^^you can also boost the snot out of a stock long block and with a few bolt ons hit the mark too.....as xballer stated there are many ways to do it, just depends on what you want, I went custom cam and eddy rpm heads with the small 1.90/1.60 valves and ported upper and lower cobra intake as well as all the normal bolt ons and this thing screams, I'd be suprised if it's not close to the 300 rwhp mark already
Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 AM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
If you're trying to make those numbers without boosting and you're spending that kind of money, you might as well build a 408 stroker out of a 351 and be done with it. Lots more potential in that direction for around the same cost.
i am/was juggling the idea of a 408 but i dont know it it will pass smog(truck engine) (even with smog parts will it??

yet i could/would have to engine swap come smog time....which keeps seeming to be easier the more i think about it

just don't know what parts are interchangeable short block seems to be the best way but after hci ..i still need all things to make it run and headers that would it to my car directly

yea but seems like i can do more with the money

^^^^^you can also boost the snot out of a stock long block and with a few bolt ons hit the mark too.....as xballer stated there are many ways to do it, just depends on what you want, I went custom cam and eddy rpm heads with the small 1.90/1.60 valves and ported upper and lower cobra intake as well as all the normal bolt ons and this thing screams, I'd be suprised if it's not close to the 300 rwhp mark already
toying with the idea i just don't want to blow the block if i do so

run like 12 lbs or whatever

.btw 400hp at the crank/flywheel

so many options just want to do it right the 1st time
Old 12-10-2009, 01:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

400 AT THE CRANK??? worry about what hits the pavement as all you'd need to hit that mark is a good h/c/i and a dyno tune which will equate to a little over 300 rwhp.......12-14 psi will not blow the block, ask PRO50SC he has 375 rwhp on a stock long block with a few bolt ons and 12-14 psi and his block has 160k, fuel system and a tune will be key

Quick Reply: ok help is needed(upgrading engine)