5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Im Baaaaaaack! hope i didnt get hosed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
bballmac42
1st Gear Member

Default Im Baaaaaaack! hope i didnt get hosed...

So after a Long time spent away from the fox body world, i am proud to say I am back with a new vehicle. It's a 87lx 5.0 hatch, strong running basically stock motor,5-spd, its black with red interior, and overall for being in wisconsin, its a solid car. I just picked the car up tonight. I got the car as it sits with a cowel hood thrown in for 1400 bucks.... Known issues with the car,
*power steering is in place but not hooked up?
*there are a few cancer/rust spots around sunroof(not bad)
*clutch is definitely not adjusted right (have a firewall adjuster in the trunk)
*gas tank leaked all over the place on the way home when i filled it all the way so issue there is still unknown
*and the worst issue is the tranny. 2nd is barely usable, pretty sure the synchros are shot and first gear is only usable when starting from a stop, forget downshifting coming to a stop.I can get a rebuild for a good price but, im just wondering if this is too big of a project for a college student to undertake right now.

Any help or insight is always appreciated, and again..the car runs good (for speed density) and pulls hard.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

who are you noob
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
bballmac42
1st Gear Member

geez.....uhhh, guess i dont know what thats supposed to mean but. thanks for the feedback i guess...
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bballmac42
*and the worst issue is the tranny. 2nd is barely usable, pretty sure the synchros are shot and first gear is only usable when starting from a stop, forget downshifting coming to a stop.I can get a rebuild for a good price but, im just wondering if this is too big of a project for a college student to undertake right now.

Any help or insight is always appreciated, and again..the car runs good (for speed density) and pulls hard.
I'd make sure your problems are not the fault of the clutch before you rebuild the transmission. Can you engage reverse from neutral?

Runs good for speed density and pulls hard? I'm a firm believer that in stock form, they do pull harder than a MAF car.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
who are you noob

I laughed at this

anyways,
nice find wheres the pictures my man?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

wow, those "known problems" would have made me walk away.

you just bought yourself a ****box
Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
bballmac42
1st Gear Member

well jfs thanks...for actually posting something related. It does shift into reverse from neutral. i drove home going from first to 3rd without any grinding, so at this point im guessing synchros but..we'll find out.

and yea, Known problems, i dont mind having a tranny rebuilt, and the car is solid with no rot and a strong motor. for 1400 bucks?????
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bballmac42
well jfs thanks...for actually posting something related. It does shift into reverse from neutral. i drove home going from first to 3rd without any grinding, so at this point im guessing synchros but..we'll find out.

and yea, Known problems, i dont mind having a tranny rebuilt, and the car is solid with no rot and a strong motor. for 1400 bucks?????
You said there were some rust spots...... If there is rust in one area, then its mostlikely in another area (Trust me, i thought i had a clean car, then the stuff just started popping up EVERYWERE)
make sure to check your 1/4's for rust, inner door sill, engine bay by the shocktowers, and the inner door area were the hinges attach to the body, these are some of rusts most favorit spots.
For the trans, look into Gforce for a rebuild kit, a buddy of mine has it and the trans is awsome
Old 01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

how do you know the motor is strong without even being able to be rough on it? i had a tranny that needed to be rebuild when i bought my stang. i thought it had ***** too until i rebuilt the trans....come to find out the motor sucked, no power from 2nd gear on. 1st gear will feel powerful to almost anyone. so long story short right after a trans rebuild, i had a motor rebuild.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

just throw some spray on it and see what happens

Quick Reply: Im Baaaaaaack! hope i didnt get hosed...