5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

$495 to install gears..... WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Thats gear oil for ya!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
$300 just for labor is the cheapest I have found in my area but that is still too much for me to pay. Just another reason to do it myself like everything else
I brought all of the internal parts and a completely stripped housing to a Mustang shop around here. He charged 300 total for complete assembly of the rear(wheel bearings,seals, erything).

Too bad I hauled it my cavalier.... a bit of fluid/friciton modifier dripped onto the back seat.

Hot summer days smell delightful.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

$100 gear swap/Trac Lok rebuild at our local shop. Thats labor-only of course, and in slow winter business.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:37 PM
sigmund

Just had 3.27 gears installed in my 90 LX 5.0 for $250. That was labor and gear oil. It did not include any bearings, etc. Don't know about new seals, but nothing leaks. This guy only works on Mustangs, and it took him better part of the day. He also added some friction modifier while he was at it. That ran the bill to $259. I supplied the ring and pinion.

Last edited by sigmund; 02-11-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 02-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I paid $500 for 4.10 install, included parts, gears, oil, etc.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:01 PM
PSR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by joes90gt
I'm looking to get a set of 3.55 gears installed in my 90 GT. I asked the shop down the road from me for an estimate ...I would supply the gears & installation kit......

He said approx. 6 hours = about $495!!

I'm not asking the guy to do it for free or anything, but I thought $150 would be more in line...

What am I missing here? Got any recommendations close to the Raleigh NC area??

Check this out I too am a shop owner and build mustang for a living

The shop rent here is 4500.00 a month

The lift needed to lift your car up cost 4500.00

The insurance cost 2500.00 for 6 months

The electric is about 1000.00 a month

The city permits and lic to be a shop with has mat fees is about 2500.00 every year

Then you have the experance to do the job and that is price less

Then you can figure 700.00 for a cheap press

And about 450.00 for a dial indicator to do the job

And air compressor 800.00

Then the ½ inch air gun to crush the crush collar 400.00

Then you have the labor to pay the guys so figure 25.00 per hour for the shop to pay the person doing the work you said 6 hours so that is 150.00 by its self

So lets look at the flip side you can find people to do the gear job for the 150.00 but when and that is when not if the job goes wrong and they whine or they come apart who is going to pay for the repair? The guy who you paid a fraction of the cost or the shop that you feel is over charging you??? The fact is they shop must pay between 10k and 20 k and the start of every month before they can even open their doors in order to do a service for you and you want to complain about a book rate that they are charging you should feel special because if you were here in town when the customer supplys their own parts we charge 30.00 more per hour because truth be told you will just go buy the cheapest gears or the best deal you can fine and that alone screws up the time scale . let the shop buy the parts and install it regardless of what it cost because at least it will be done right

the fact of the matter is anyone can do it cheaper at home in their garage because they dont have over head. if you screw up it will be one hell of a learning exp for you and cost you much more in the long run. any one who does a gear job with out changing the bearings is a retard and not worth having do the job in the first place. however im sure you will find someone to do it on the side and then when the bearings come apart from being unloaded and then reloaded then you will be one of the first ones bashing that guy who was trying to save you some money on the internet!!! truth be told you get what you pay for. do all your work in your agarge because you dont wantto pay people and be stuck with a slow car your entire life or get a little help and get the jobs done right and see what it is like to have a nice car that runs and makes the power you want to make, I deal with crap like this every day

Last edited by PSR; 02-11-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM
PSR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stang9946
He said he was providing parts...

Any way, $75/hr@6 hrs is $450. (6 hrs being excessive, 4 being more reasonable) So $600 is definitely *** rapeage.

I can see that you have never done a gear job properly.. all bearings need to be replaced and the rear diff needs to be re shimmed to .08 to .12 thou to be properly done and that take time. I have done a few thousand in my time. all though it is not hard it is time consuming
Old 02-11-2010, 01:07 PM
PSR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WillyB5.0
There used to be a shop in the Raleigh area called Haywood Custom Speed. I dont know if there still there but it might be worth a shot. They did a great job on my buddys 99 cobra
Key word used to be
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PSR
Check this out I too am a shop owner and build mustang for a living

The shop rent here is 4500.00 a month

The lift needed to lift your car up cost 4500.00

The insurance cost 2500.00 for 6 months

The electric is about 1000.00 a month

The city permits and lic to be a shop with has mat fees is about 2500.00 every year

Then you have the experance to do the job and that is price less

Then you can figure 700.00 for a cheap press

And about 450.00 for a dial indicator to do the job

And air compressor 800.00

Then the ½ inch air gun to crush the crush collar 400.00

Then you have the labor to pay the guys so figure 25.00 per hour for the shop to pay the person doing the work you said 6 hours so that is 150.00 by its self

So lets look at the flip side you can find people to do the gear job for the 150.00 but when and that is when not if the job goes wrong and they whine or they come apart who is going to pay for the repair? The guy who you paid a fraction of the cost or the shop that you feel is over charging you??? The fact is they shop must pay between 10k and 20 k and the start of every month before they can even open their doors in order to do a service for you and you want to complain about a book rate that they are charging you should feel special because if you were here in town when the customer supplys their own parts we charge 30.00 more per hour because truth be told you will just go buy the cheapest gears or the best deal you can fine and that alone screws up the time scale . let the shop buy the parts and install it regardless of what it cost because at least it will be done right

the fact of the matter is anyone can do it cheaper at home in their garage because they dont have over head. if you screw up it will be one hell of a learning exp for you and cost you much more in the long run. any one who does a gear job with out changing the bearings is a retard and not worth having do the job in the first place. however im sure you will find someone to do it on the side and then when the bearings come apart from being unloaded and then reloaded then you will be one of the first ones bashing that guy who was trying to save you some money on the internet!!! truth be told you get what you pay for. do all your work in your agarge because you dont wantto pay people and be stuck with a slow car your entire life or get a little help and get the jobs done right and see what it is like to have a nice car that runs and makes the power you want to make, I deal with crap like this every day
What shops pay their mechanics $25/hr? I'd love to know. Because I'm calling bull****.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

local mustang shop that restore's mustangs and other muscle cars I called when I did my gear swap (my second mod, had the car like 4 days) they wanted $900 not including parts, just for labor.

I ended up getting the guy I bought my mid-pipe off of to do that job for $300. He owned his own shop, and did it after hours. Never had an issue out of them, and they where used at the time too.

If it costs SO DAMN much to run a shop, your HURTING how AWFUL it is to pay those HUGE sum's and bills........ how can you afford that 9 second cobra?

REALLY hurting for money eh?

just like the fat cat's on wall street taking a 10% cut it pay to "help the company" and they still make 200 million a year after the cut

Quick Reply: $495 to install gears..... WTF???