5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Oh what to dooo

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Default Oh what to dooo

Well, as my new job's first paycheck comes, I desperately need tires. With all the rain we've been having in AZ, it's been quite dangerous to drive the 'stang. I have about 1 1/2 year old BFGoodrich tires that are pretty much bald. Well,s ome thread in the rear but the fronts are gone...

The front tires on my car wear wierd though. The back ,towards the engine bay, tires are fine and seem to have good thread but the outer part of the front tires is bald completely. Nothing there. What could cause this? I took it to get it aligned and that has fixed nothing. Suspension is pretty much stock and I'm sure hasn't been freshened up at all...car rides like a tank. So what should be on my shopping list. I know camber plates are a def.

Any opinions for shocks/struts? I love road racing the car over drag racing so....

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Bump for answers!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

strange 10 ways, bump steer, CC plates, Ball joints.. I could go on and on
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well the wear on the outside of the tires means your tie rods are shot. could be just the outer tie rods or the inners. if it is the inners i suggest replacing the whole steering rack (comes with inners already installed) and the outers as well. if its just the outers you can just replace those.

the ball joints wear the inner part of your tire not the outer part

what tires are you going to go with? and what size are your wheels? i like my Yokohama S.Drives a lot. 245/45/17 up front and a 275/40/17 out back

suspension um get strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts, H&R Super Sport springs (i dont have these but want them over my eibach). upper and lower rear control arms, cc plates.. possibly a pan-hard bar for the rear

Last edited by nacanitihs; 03-09-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 PM
az 88 5.0
1st Gear Member

I had that same issue one time with my front tires just going bald on the outer parts and took to an alignment shop and they fixed it don't remember exactly what the issue was but will get back with you. it was recommended to me cc plates are not needed unless you are planning to lower it 1.5" or so and lower so your call. not sure about drag set up but i got the eibach pro kit springs and bilstein shocks and struts going on tomorrow so will also get back with you on that. if you haven't already you check out latemodelrestoration.com for some decent parts and ebay for sure. heard strut bars help decently as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Are strange 10-ways good for auto-x? And is there a coilover kit for them? I was definitely going to get H&R's. Just better experiences.

As for inner and outer tie-rods, we just replaced those after I hit a big *** pothole on Grand Ave and caved in one of my rims...But maybe I did it wrong?

As for tires, I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight to good budget tires that have great traction. Got 235's up front right now but going 245s up front. Keeping with 275s out back.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:54 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

with the strange paperwork they have adjustment settings for road racing and drag racing
Old 03-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Nice. Think I'll go that way. How do they do as coilovers though?
Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

you can get a coil over set up for them

here:
http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/120.html

i use strange 10-way shocks and struts btw.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Dj_Seph
4th Gear Member

Excellent. Where do I place an order. is it cheapest to get from the site directly or should I shop elsewhere?

Quick Reply: Oh what to dooo