5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HELP! wtf is this hole....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Default HELP! wtf is this hole....

So i'm getting my 94 GT back up and running to sell..... I bought a complete foxbody motor, but theres a hole facing down (into the oil pan i assume) on the timing cover near the pointer on the passenger side. I have no idea what this is, ive never seen it before... im about to just plug it off

Old 03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

looks like someone may have used that motor is a classic ride or at least one with a front sump pan, that hole is for the dipstick on a front sump motor...you'll need to swap timing covers for a foxbody one and pick up and pan if it still has a front sump set up on it
Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
looks like someone may have used that motor is a classic ride or at least one with a front sump pan, that hole is for the dipstick on a front sump motor...you'll need to swap timing covers for a foxbody one and pick up and pan if it still has a front sump set up on it
That's weird... It came out of a foxbody, and there's a dipstick (albeit broken in half, lol) in the block where it usually is on a 5.0. It's safe to just put a bolt in and plug it off?

The pan looks like any other 5 liters pan that ive owned..
Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

reason, I said it is recommended to swap covers is IIrc the configuration/ desogn templet on the cover for the water pump is different than a fox/reverse rotation pump set up....as long as the proper pump is currently on there and working you'll be fine
Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

jegs sells a timing cover that can use a standard or reverse flow water pump so it can be used on a fox and it has a hole for a front dip stick. i have one on my motor, does the hole go all the way down mine came with a plug the you pound in with punch if you dont use the hole for a dipstick and the plug goes in quite a way so make sure its not down in there
Old 03-15-2010, 10:39 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by symonds86
jegs sells a timing cover that can use a standard or reverse flow water pump so it can be used on a fox and it has a hole for a front dip stick. i have one on my motor, does the hole go all the way down mine came with a plug the you pound in with punch if you dont use the hole for a dipstick and the plug goes in quite a way so make sure its not down in there
I think it does go all the way down... and it looks like its threaded

I have a 94/95 Timing cover / water pump, i just dont feel like dealing with swapping it. I just wanna put that bitch in
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 PM
symonds86
3rd Gear Member

mines not threaded but im sure more then jegs made that type of cover, and i have seen the threaded dipsticks for them too
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

****it, its getting plugged. This cars getting sold soon as its running anyways lol
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 PM
LiveFastDriveFaster
1st Gear Member

Remind me later not to buy that car! lol One of those just in case things!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LiveFastDriveFaster
Remind me later not to buy that car! lol One of those just in case things!
hahahaha +1

Quick Reply: HELP! wtf is this hole....