5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Cobra or street heat intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:44 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

i can barely read this thread
Old 05-29-2010, 07:26 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

One last question, will my stock bolts work with the intake, or will i need new bolts, if so is there a kit i could buy?
Old 05-30-2010, 12:12 PM
mustangfreeek

it depends on where you buy your intake that answers the question my friend, like headers, if their new, they come with.. sometimes on ebay people upgrade using a new intake and sell their old with bolts, some of the intakes are cross usable and can use the stock bolts with aftermarket intakes.. but know this.. if were talking about a fox mustang, any year, then were talking about 20 year old bolts too.. my two cents says that when you figure out which intake your going to use, get new bolts. Or you'll find out how to tap those heads like I did the hard way. And i saw a reply a minute ago about gearing and mpg.. in 88 and 89 alot of the cars that came with the 2.73 gearsets were prone to blow engines because of such a load that the engine had on it.. although the math in ones mind doesnt figure it properly.. number 1 when you put a 3.73 gear in your car, you will find out what a mustang awakening is all about, for 150 bucks.. and number 2, i get 21 mpg. go figure.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:34 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

The intake i am getting is not an aftermarket intake, its a 95 cobra intake, the seller no longer has the bolts though, as my car is also a 95 i was wondering if the bolts would all be the same length thus reusable, ive foudn conflicting accounts some saying they are some saying they are not, if they are not i am still having trouble finding bolts for it that i could buy
Old 05-30-2010, 12:48 PM
mustangfreeek

my father in law says their the same bolts, my father in law is a grumpy old fart, truth be told I dont like em that much either, he was the engine and transmission builder at the ford dealership here in Pensacola, Florida. He just retired last year, he started at the dealership in 1961. My father in law is GOD when it comes to ford lol. Summit racing should have those bolts, call summit, they will let you speak to an engineer to verify fitment, and potential availability and cost. the old man also says that you should replace them in either case.. you try to hit the correct torque value when installing and you may be in for a surprise that would have only cost 20 bucks plus shipping. in either case.. good luck my friend. that cobra intake will look good with that red car.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:01 PM
mustangfreeek

Cool, found em, mustangsunlimited.com download the catalog in .pdf in the intakes and accessories section, there is no listed difference or other available bolt kit, the 94-95 cobra intake and the gt intakes are the same listed bolt kit, ouch for 54.95 each kit.
Ok so that means i retract the earlier statement about replacing the bolts lol, soak em in penetrating fluid for an hour or so and go with em IF they look good and arent "thinner" like somethimes old bolts look. But the catalog verifies that the bolts are the same.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 PM
mustangfreeek

320537644563 ebay item # Hope your looking at that one....
Old 05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your help, and yeah i saw that one but the price is jumping pretty fast for that one, plus shipping is going to be more than for the one i'm looking at so the price difference probably won't be too big if at all, i'll keep watching it though if it stays around where it is now i'll try to get it, and thanks on the bolts, i'll just buy the kit or search for a kit with the same size bolts as that one, but thank you for getting me the info for the bolts, that makes everything easier, and tell your father in law thanks too, now i just need to find gaskets, i can find the lower to upper, but having trouble with the lower to heads (if its not apparent I don't know too much when it comes to stuff under the hood)
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well just to let you know intakes are really easy to clean up and make look good. so if you find one that looks like crap about a few min with a wire wheel on a drill and a few coats of engine primer and paint it will look good as new!

before

after