5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Weird noise from drivers side rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Default Weird noise from drivers side rear

Okay, I have noticed for the last couple of days, there is a weird noise coming from my drivers side rear wheel area. I have rotated the wheels to make sure it wasn't the wheels or tires, and it's still doing it. Here's the noise, the best I can describe it.

It sounds like a thumping sound, and it gets louder and faster the faster you go. It almost sounds like when riding on a flat tire. When you put torque to it (Press on the gas), the noise goes away, but comes right back again when you let off the gas. It's really only doing it over 20mph, below that is a different noise.

When coasting between 1-10 mph, or when slowing down (with or without foot on the brake), there is a squeaking sound, almost sounds like rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together. It does it whether the brake is applied or not.

It almost sounds like a bad axel bearing, but I am not sure. The brakes are fairly new, were only replaced before winter came.

If it ends up being the axel bearing, is it recommended to replace both rears at the same time, or does it not matter? Also, are those pressed in, or are they able to be put in using normal tools and by regular people.

Please get back to me, it's my current only daily driver, and it sounds like it's getting worse. I don't want it to be something dangerous so i'm not driving it, but I need to get it on the road.

'Braking does NOT appear to be affected at all, it still stops like it did before'
Old 07-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Bubba 95SN
4th Gear Member

Disconnect driveshaft from pinion yolk. Now move u joints and see if they bind or are real sloppy. Get on 4 lane highway go about 45mph switch lanes abruptly left and right. Did noise go away? That is how to check axle bearings.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

I just read up, it appears the axle bearing goes in the rear axle in the center, not at the wheel? If that's the case, it's not that making the noise. It's definately coming from the wheel area, not the driveshaft area or the center of the car.

Unless the axle bearings are like the wheel bearings in the front, and connect to the wheel hub in the back.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the axle bearings go in the ends of the tubes on the rear axle, they are tapped in on either side and are on the outer ends, not center
Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

So to check them just switch lanes fast and see if noise goes away? Its hard to hear them on the highway. I have a convertible and theres alot of wind noise. Is replacing them difficult? When i replaced clutch before i had trouble disconnecting drive shaft (rear driveshaft bolts were seized up in flange) so i had to pull ujoint apart at transmission to get it out.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:57 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, I just read an installation manual for the bearings, and it looks like you have to remove the differential cover, remove some pins that hold the axle shaft on, and than pull it out? Does that sound right?

If that's the case, I may have somebody else do it. I don't want to take the chance of damaging something important in there.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

yes axle c-clips must be removed and cover must come off, they you will need a slap hammer to pull the bearings out or a long long piece of rebar to tap them out from behind from opposite sides
Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

Hmm, is it a difficult job do you know? I can rent the slide hammer to remove the bearing, but does that c-clamp hold both axle's in, or is there one per side?

I am more worried about opening the differential and doing some major damage in there. It looks like there is alot of stuff in there that can be misplaced, misaligned, or fall out when it's open.

I also didn't notice a spot to fill it with fluid again, either.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

with a 5/16 wrench after cover is removed, remove the bolt holding in the pin that slides through spider gears and pin will slide out, push axles in a tad and c-clips will be visible, with a pen magnet pull them out then axles can be slid out, there is one per axle = 2 in total.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Ex0r
2nd Gear Member

hmm, so it's basically an easy job. Sounds like just a matter of maybe 5 minutes to get the axle out. Hmm, I suppose i'll give it a try.

Where do you refill the differential when you drain it, and is it standard atf fluid?

Quick Reply: Weird noise from drivers side rear