5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

xTuukka's build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM
xTuukka

Default xTuukka's build thread

Well guys, I'm not even going to act like I know mechanics (I'm a hack, if that) but I picked up this car as a project car and as a memory of my dad. Him and I were going to build up a Mustang until he was diagnosed with cancer and fought it for almost a year until he passed away almost two months ago. I've decided this car is a good build base and acted on that by purchasing it for $1000. I don't honestly know what my priorities should be, which is why I'm asking the forum to help me out. I know for sure she needs a new windshield as well as desperate rust removal. I would like to totally redo the interior (at least buy new side panels for each door since the power windows don't work and are nasty looking)(also would like to replace the driver and passenger seat if possible). The engine runs smooth and it shifts nice as well. These are my priorities for now, please help me by critiquing them!

0. New Battery
1. Rust Removal/New paint
2. Alarm System (Got it priced at $750 with the installation of a sound system with four speakers and a radio)
3. Replace current windshield
4. New Tires/Rims (Got it priced at $1800, is that a good price?)

What do you think of my list? I know what I'm typing here doesn't do the car much justice so I've gotten about 25 pictures of the car from today. I have not had much time to go through the car unfortunately but I plan to start cleaning tomorrow.

What do you guys think? Good buy, bad buy? Any help you can give is very greatly appreciated. Mods, if this is in the wrong section, I'm really sorry.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

I think its an ok buy. One would be surprised how much a deep cleaning can do. And assuming your car runs like a top, then I'd say your priorities are fine. They seem to be the most important to you as of right now. I agree with the alarm system, mainly cuz I caught a couple kids trying to steal my brothers truck out of my driveway 2 days ago and busted out the back glass lol. I think you can find a way better deal on wheels, that is if you dont mind buying used. Used with decent to new tires you can find them from 4-6 hundred bucks. I'd also say either find a lx nose or the rest of the gt bodykit as well.

I'm also jealous of the no rust around the sunroof. I had to foxes and both are rusted out on the sunroof lol

Last edited by badlx87; 08-03-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
xTuukka

Thanks! I've got a mechanic stopping by the house this week to check out the car and estimate some of the damage. The reason the tires/rims were so high is they were supposed to be the "best" tires for traction and the rims were going to be chrome. $1800 was cheaper than the $2200 that I was told at another garage. I think the first thing I'm going to do (cause it's cheap) is replace the weather sealing on both doors as well as the sunroof. I was snooping around under the hood an hour ago and noticed that some of my hoses have some sort of black tape about every 4 inches. Something tells me that isn't a good sign.

Also, quick question for anyone reading; in the 5th to last picture, closest cord to the bottom with the fraying on it, does anyone know what it's supposed to do? I thought it might be connected to the fog lights but I'm not sure.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

you might wanna skip the alarm system... If someone wants to steal your car. an alarm isnt going to stop them.

Infact, If I was scoping out your car and saw you had an alarm. I'd just slide my *** under the front and cut your battery cable before I robbed you blind.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

The fifth to last pic, that frayed cable cover by your battery looks like the hood latch release cable.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:11 PM
xTuukka

Would that affect opening the hood? Cause I have no problem at all popping it open.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by xTuukka
Would that affect opening the hood? Cause I have no problem at all popping it open.
its not a hood release, look at where it comes through the firewall..

Does your speedo work? It could be the speedo cable.
How does the trans shift? If the speedo works, it might be the TV cable

ALso, $1800 for wheels and tires.. jesus christ. what did you price out?

Last edited by AdderMk2; 08-03-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
badlx87
2nd Gear Member

I looked at the 6th pic lol, its's been a long hot day today. In the 5TH pic yea, that does look like speedo cable. Looke like it got too close to the headers.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
xTuukka

By speedo, you mean speedometer?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

wow, that car needs 10k worth of stuff right away to be acceptable to me, but for 1k , not a bad purchase

Quick Reply: xTuukka's build thread