5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Have to tear into the motor, torn on the decision

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:09 AM
OLAFKID

Default Have to tear into the motor, torn on the decision

I am the proud (2nd) owner of a black 89 Notch with 71k original on it. It has full MAC exhaust (equal lengths, h pipe, catback) MGW shifter, and Motorsport 5 lug disc brake conversion all around with 3.55s and Moser hardened 28 spline axles. Problem is it sat for 2 to 2.5 years without being started now ive done the research and the rings are bad. seeing as how I'll be getting into the motor I'm trying to decide what to do. There is a guy in town who has an 82 GT with a 347 with only the best parts and he cant drive it bc something breaks every time and I dont want to reach that point. Just can't decide if I should build it ( crank, rods, pistons, rockers, heads, cam, intake...), keep it stock (don't see em much like that), do suspension and nitrous, just a H/C/I, idk I am curious to hear what you all think. The car is also not a DD and the budget isn't the greatest. My goal for the car is just all around enjoyment, I am capable in a garage and I like to race and cruise.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

this will help you decide, loud and clear :https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...bers-read.html
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by OLAFKID
Problem is it The car is also not a DD and the budget isn't the greatest.
Pull the engine out and just rebuild it. If you dont NEED massive power, why dump in massive money? right?

SInce it isnt a DD, and winter is coming. Pull the block out and bring it to a machine shop. Let them rebuild the bottom end. If the block just needs to be honed out, great! Have them slap sme bearings and rings in it a call it a day. If the block needs to be bored, go .030 over and replace the pistons with some nice forged pieces. Have the rotating assembly re-balanced and get the engine reassembled.

Now that the engine will have been rebuilt, best time ever to consider doing some top end modifications. If you are looking for something with decent power, but not breaking the bank, find some GT-40P heads, P specific headers (yours wont fit), A used Exploder intake, and either keep the stock cam, or put in a very mild upgrade. i.e TFS1, Crane 2030.. etc

The car will likely make in the 260-280hp area, run strong, and be reliable. Not to mention, decent on fuel!

If you look around, and shop wisely, you can dot this whole rebuild for less than $1500
Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ehh id stay away from the gt40 style build. i mean ya its a decient upgrade from stock but it will leave you wanting more sooner.. but if thats the case you can always run a low boost s/c or nitrous..

def have the engine rebuilt but id keep it a 302 or 306 (.030 over) and used trickflow heads can be found for 700-750 if you look correctly. since you have time id start looking on corral for all the parts you need/want. prices on used parts are pretty good over there and it will save you a ton of $$

good luck. and any pix of the car?
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 PM
88GTBLACK
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AdderMk2
Pull the engine out and just rebuild it. If you dont NEED massive power, why dump in massive money? right?

SInce it isnt a DD, and winter is coming. Pull the block out and bring it to a machine shop. Let them rebuild the bottom end. If the block just needs to be honed out, great! Have them slap sme bearings and rings in it a call it a day. If the block needs to be bored, go .030 over and replace the pistons with some nice forged pieces. Have the rotating assembly re-balanced and get the engine reassembled.

Now that the engine will have been rebuilt, best time ever to consider doing some top end modifications. If you are looking for something with decent power, but not breaking the bank, find some GT-40P heads, P specific headers (yours wont fit), A used Exploder intake, and either keep the stock cam, or put in a very mild upgrade. i.e TFS1, Crane 2030.. etc

The car will likely make in the 260-280hp area, run strong, and be reliable. Not to mention, decent on fuel!

If you look around, and shop wisely, you can dot this whole rebuild for less than $1500
+1 Cheap and reliable horsepower couldnt of been put better. You could run 12s all day with a good driver, supporting mods, and best part is, you can drive it home. I would never take someone elses motor and just be able to trust whats done to it will hold up. i want the piece of mind knowing things were done right
Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 PM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

i agree with adder on a stockish build it will be reliable and good power and can handle some nitrous or forced induction in the future. ncthantis (spelling sry) also has a good point on the heads might want to consider some aftermarket used ones, like said b4 corral has some very good deals just make sure to buy from guys with good feedback.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM
Force4
3rd Gear Member

Yea no need to waste money on tons of power if you dont plan to use it.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Jfsram
4th Gear Member

Rings are bad? How did you come to this conclusion?