5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Possible New Car, Need Advice...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

Default Possible New Car, Need Advice...

Hello guys, i need some advise. i recently sold my 98 gt this past weekend, and will be looking at a 94 gt conv't. this weekend, i am familiar with the brakes, suspension, etc. of this style car although my 98 had the the modular power plant. is there anything drivetrain wise i need to look out for?

Thanks, Mike.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:47 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

yes... stay away from AODE car

go 5 speed only unless u wipe ur a$$ with 100 dolla bills and enjoy going slow

gonna toss sumthin out tho..... if u want a vert??? why not a limited fox vert ? they had them in '90 (7-up cars) '92 and '93 (red with white, white with white, yellow with white and ONLY fox to be made with chrome ponies)

all limiteds were produced in lower numbers than cobras

im just sayin.......
Old 11-20-2010, 03:24 AM
95_GT_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I agree with Bob, stay away from the AODE.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 AM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

I checked out the car mentioned above this weekend. it is in decent shape, needs a few things, not worried about it. although my main issue i was concerned with is it has an oil leak which appears to be coming from the front possibly from the lower intake manifold.???

Thoughts.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:33 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

is it a stock intake ? if they had it off they probably used the cork gaskets and not enuff rtv. i know some people who use ONLY rtv there... no cork at all. i use both. first time i did it... i just used cork like the book said... leaked like a maw fukkka

other possible is valve cover gaskets

i doubt it is anything other than those 2, but hey... i was wrong before and had to divorce her
Old 11-23-2010, 01:44 AM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Well, jumping from a mod car to a pushrod will be a different experience. The mod motors are rev-friendly, quiet and smoothe. Well, the 5.0 is lumpy, torquey and hates the upper limits of the tach...stock that is. Be prepared to get waxed by newer Honda Accords and Camry's. If you plan on keeping it stock, the 98 would have been the better car hands down. If you plan on modding it, the 94 is a good platform. The brakes are run by a different system than the 98, a lot more mushier. Make sure the rag top doesn't leak, as it can be an expensive fix. Double verify that the oil leak on the 94 is the intake and not the front or rear main seal. Those are notorious for leaking after time. And yes the AODE is a pain...slow and super soft shifts. The 4r70w at least snaps your neck back on the 1-2 shift. Let the modding begin!

Last edited by NoGo95GT; 11-23-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 AM
jr50rider
1st Gear Member

I ended up not buying that car, it had way too many issues that i didn't feel were explained. I had a bad vibe coming from it. also i test drove the car and as mentioned i think my wifes new Sienna would have outrun it.

anyways still on the hunt for a new mustang. Thanks, guys. if anyone has anyfor sale or leads let me know. doesn't need to be perfect by any means, just want a decent history of the car.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^pm addermk2 he has an agressive 94 cobra with a 347 in it in decent shape and he can provide all the history
Old 11-23-2010, 06:59 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

Personally man, I'd look for a 96-98 Cobra vert if you wanted a convertible. The 94-95's are just dogs and many with high miles have been beat to death. Plus the Cobra's can be had for reasonable prices....or by Adder's car^^^^
Old 11-23-2010, 11:43 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Im with nogo on that!! The 4valve engines are brutes!! Put a blower on it and go out and whoop some a**! Thats if you are really looking for that style in 94-98? Sounds like you are kind of dead set on that body style!! Other wise I would look for a fox drop top. You can find them out there reasonably priced. I would sell ya mine but I dont think you are looking for a house payment are ya? lol. Think about what you want the car to be and look for one that is already modded to your liking!! Do your homework and take the time to make sure you are getting the right car, and usually if your gut gives you a bad feeling about a car- ten times out of ten your gut is right!!

Quick Reply: Possible New Car, Need Advice...