5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Ford Asset

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:10 PM
TexasTanker19kilo20
Goldilocks

Sounds like a good program. Keep us updated on what all they teach you, it might get more of us interested. I'm about to have some free time and doing a school option at work is something I might do. Also you say it get's you a degree which I can us as promotion points. Thanks for posting this. Edit-- Well sh*t, I looked it up and there are no ASSET schools in the Fort Hood/ Killeen area!! oh well.

Last edited by TexasTanker19kilo20; 01-06-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
XPBaller
4th Gear Member

I did the asset program. It was absolute garbage in my opinion, maybe it was the teachers that were teaching it here. You will learn a lot though, and you get out of it what you put into it, so be ready.

They make big promises and don't live up to any of them. Only about 1-2 students In every class of about 20 that I've seen have actually 'made it' working as a tech. Everyone else either changed directions or couldn't get a job. They say they'll find you a co-op, them when you pay and take the class, you find out it's on you to find a dealership to co-op at. No dealerships in this economy wanna hire a half retarded wannabe tech at an hourly rate.. So it's next to impossible to find a dealership to co-op at. I was lucky enough to find one to turn a wrench at, but a lot of the other students weren't so lucky.

My .02
Old 01-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 19stang88
you don't know what it is but youre a ford asset student?
No I'm not in auto repair, im in civil engineering.

I meant I'm an asset in the sense that I have spent a **** ton of money on Ford Racing parts. :P
Old 01-06-2011, 06:26 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TexasTanker19kilo20
Sounds like a good program. Keep us updated on what all they teach you, it might get more of us interested. I'm about to have some free time and doing a school option at work is something I might do. Also you say it get's you a degree which I can us as promotion points. Thanks for posting this. Edit-- Well sh*t, I looked it up and there are no ASSET schools in the Fort Hood/ Killeen area!! oh well.
Guess you're just going to have to move to Oregon.

Originally Posted by XPBaller
I did the asset program. It was absolute garbage in my opinion, maybe it was the teachers that were teaching it here. You will learn a lot though, and you get out of it what you put into it, so be ready.

They make big promises and don't live up to any of them. Only about 1-2 students In every class of about 20 that I've seen have actually 'made it' working as a tech. Everyone else either changed directions or couldn't get a job. They say they'll find you a co-op, them when you pay and take the class, you find out it's on you to find a dealership to co-op at. No dealerships in this economy wanna hire a half retarded wannabe tech at an hourly rate.. So it's next to impossible to find a dealership to co-op at. I was lucky enough to find one to turn a wrench at, but a lot of the other students weren't so lucky.

My .02
Dang, that doesn't sound to great. Getting a sponsor won't be to hard, since the instructors really help you to find one. It almost sounds to good to be true but I am going to be a paid intern at the dealership and you're right, with this economy, who would pay a half retarded student with a wrench. But my plan is to get the degree and go into business management.

Originally Posted by Tony71502
No I'm not in auto repair, im in civil engineering.

I meant I'm an asset in the sense that I have spent a **** ton of money on Ford Racing parts. :P
Yeah I get what you mean, I was just half retarded that day and read you're statement wrong. Civil engineering huh? I have always thought that would be a career I would like to do.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Civil engineering is like large scale mechanical engineering. We do buildings and eveything else that CIVILians use. I kind of want to do mechanial, though. I'm too much of a car nut.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 PM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

very nice, I was never good at autocad and solidworks, so my engineering dreams were over
Old 01-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Sounds similar to wyotech. I went there and they promise you a job or at least help you get a job. Yeah-right. The job I have now is because my parents worked with a guy who is a neighbor to the two service managers at the Honda dealer where I work.

Let me also say this. I too wanted to be a Ford tech but I couldn't get a job at the local dealership. I hated Hondas all through school (and still do, Ill never own one) but I do like working on them. No big-*** trucks, good engineering (when it comes to servicing them). Might be something to look into.

Also no matter what school you go to you will start out changing oil no matter what dealer.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:31 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to be a ford tech for ever. I just want to get my associates degree and then pursue a career in business management.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Bobert
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
Civil engineering is like large scale mechanical engineering. We do buildings and eveything else that CIVILians use. I kind of want to do mechanial, though. I'm too much of a car nut.
Wooo ERTW

and +1 on the solidedge/works, the programs are a pain but you can do some crazy **** with them.