5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Fresh engine break-in period?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Jabtyson34

Default Fresh engine break-in period?

I just reinstalled my engine with fresh main, rod, cam bearings and new pistons. Heads are Dart Iron Eagle with an F-cam. I've been told to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so before really getting into it. I have also seen horsepower t.v. where they build an engine and then throw it on the dyno and run it to 6500rpm. Which is it?! I understand it's about seating the rings and making sure everything is going to work together but I've got 200 miles on her and it's killing me by not seeing what she's got! I'm sure everyone wishes they had this "problem" and I should just be patient but what kind of damage could possibly happen if I ran it hard right away?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jabtyson34
I just reinstalled my engine with fresh main, rod, cam bearings and new pistons. Heads are Dart Iron Eagle with an F-cam. I've been told to take it easy for the first 500 miles or so before really getting into it. I have also seen horsepower t.v. where they build an engine and then throw it on the dyno and run it to 6500rpm. Which is it?! I understand it's about seating the rings and making sure everything is going to work together but I've got 200 miles on her and it's killing me by not seeing what she's got! I'm sure everyone wishes they had this "problem" and I should just be patient but what kind of damage could possibly happen if I ran it hard right away?
if you've given 200 easy miles already, your motor will never have the potential it could have had. old flat tappet cams need a break in period that can be done on jack stands. otherwise roller motors? soon as you build them you should be out giving it hell to seat those rings. it'll either go or blow, no sense in ***** footin' around it.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

While i agree with pro trick i perfer to get 500 miles on the motors to wear things in before getting on it. But you need to get thoses rpms up to seat the rings first thing
Old 01-10-2011, 04:52 PM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
While i agree with pro trick i perfer to get 500 miles on the motors to wear things in before getting on it. But you need to get thoses rpms up to seat the rings first thing
yes, i should correct my statement a bit. keeping the motor at high RPM's at initial break in is the important part.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:27 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

how is your ring pack set up? is your second ring a naiper?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Jabtyson34

I do not believe the second ring is a napier. I don't know how they were set up because I got the engine back as a short block and I just put everything else together. The rings are Sealed Power ZE cast.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 AM
holyshift
3rd Gear Member

I fired mine,ran it at 2000rpms for 20 min,changed oil,filter,took her down the street and made some high rpm hits and just let off,put maybe 25 street miles on it,took it to the track.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:10 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Flog it asap. Run it on jack stands and get the rpm up at first, check for leaks, follow flat tappet cam break in procedures etc. Once it's checked out you need to be at wot through the rpm range and gear down hard in gear, accel in gear etc to get the rings seated properly. Since you already have 200mi on it of ***** footing around, it's too late. You're ring break in window ended at about 30mi.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

the first day i got mine running i got it running good and set the timing on it.then the next day when i was able to drive it,i ran the ***** off of it for the fist 6 miles.i couldnt wait to be easy on it and said if anything was gonna happen to it,it would have done it then.i prob rev'd it to high but it liked it
Old 01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

What everyone said is true. High RPM's quick after initial start is best, while watching temps, etc. Your rings are for sure seated after 200 miles.

Quick Reply: Fresh engine break-in period?