5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

body damage thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:15 PM
ghost_rader

Default body damage thoughts

i bought an 88 gt as a project. i want to eventually find a t-top shell and swap my stuff into it, but am making it a daily driver until then. the car was in an accident that looks like it was slid into something and it mainly hit the hatchon the drivers side below the wing. I have been trying to figure what is bent. the hatch was shifted over about 1.5 inches to the pass side, the latch was broken, and the hinges were shot. there is some paint cracking and a dent on the roof in the rear as well. i have replaced the hinges and the latch and have aligned the hatch up the best i can but in order to get the hatch to line up at the taillights and down the body, the gap at the roof line is small on the drivers side and quite large on the passenger side.
do you think the hatch is tweeked, or would it be more likely that the roof has shifted from the hit. and if it is the roof should i bother trying to fix it?
thanks. i will take some pics tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

pics....
Old 02-06-2011, 08:09 AM
ghost_rader

Originally Posted by projectresto83
pics....
here you go

im not worried about the dents in the body.

i am thinking if the roof line is shifted i will remove the interior and rear windows, align the hatch with the roof and use a jack to move the roof back into position so the hatch lines up again.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

It looks like you need to just loosen the bolts that go through the roof to the hatch hinges and adjust it. The driver side needs to be pushed up some. BUT with the other dents in the body it might have slightly shifted on you. Also check the striker mounting. The plate it mounts to could have slightly been bent. Once the hatch comes down to latch it can move a little to catch the lock. I have had similar issues since I smashed my rear end on an accidental of roading adventure. The weight of the hatch did all the mis alignment issues I have though....
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 PM
ghost_rader

i have already re aligned the hatch. i replaced the hinges and the latch. loosened everything up, centered the hatch and striker, aligned the hatch on the car and tightened back down. this is the best i could get. If i align the roof line on the car, the hatch hangs off the passenger side of the car by about 1.5 inches.

i guess the better question to ask is, do you think the hatch would tweek more easily than the roof?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

no, the hatch is pretty solid. If those pics up top are your adjusted pics you have a long ways to go bud. This pic right here can show you that.....

Old 02-06-2011, 05:25 PM
ghost_rader

Originally Posted by projectresto83
no, the hatch is pretty solid. If those pics up top are your adjusted pics you have a long ways to go bud. This pic right here can show you that.....

exactly why i think the roof is tweeked. im pretty good with body line gaps and this drives me nuts. if i line that gap up, the back of the hatch is off to the passenger side.

oh whatever im just gonna have to pull it apart and pull it back into place. ill post up pics after im done.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:15 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

pull the interior panels out and inspect the structure.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:15 PM
ghost_rader

interior has been pulled, didn't see any definite damage, but i did cross measure from the taillight panel to the roof and its tweeked. so tomorrow im gonna pull the windows, realign the roof gap, and porta power the roof back into place. ill post up some pics of my progress.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:06 PM
ghost_rader

ok its fixed enough for my liking. i pulled the interior and the rear windows.

realigned the hatch on the roof. heres what it looked like when i got it.

and set up my porta power to push the roof back into place.

after a little pushing and tweeking, its back into place.

and thats how you straighten out a tweeked roofline.

Quick Reply: body damage thoughts