5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Turn Signals fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Quickbird144
1st Gear Member

Default Turn Signals fixed!!

After endless diagnosing and TONS of help from dreamer1uk, I finally got my signals fixed.

It was wires in the wrong spot on the connector. After dreamer helped me diagnose that my hazard switch had a wire in the wrong place, I decided to pull up a wiring diagram for the multifunction switch. Sure enough I had to rearrange 3 wires, one being the 12v power.

Turn signals now work like they never had any problems. Thanks to ALL especially dreamer1uk
Old 02-06-2011, 10:21 PM
tohoopty
4th Gear Member

well im glad you got it all fixed.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 PM
dreamer1uk
3rd Gear Member

Your welcome Ill send you the bill, lol
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Quickbird144
1st Gear Member

Just some tips for others having issues!

Fuse
Make sure that isn't blown. It's on block 5 I believe and other things run off that fuse like brake lights, so if those aren't working, check there.

Hazard switch
The turn signals get a 12v feed from the hazard switch. It's the O/Y wire. Make sure that hasn't come unplugged and also make sure the W/R wire hasn't either. O/Y wire with key in RUN should have a 12v to it. Can use a basic test light for this.

Flashers
As you all know, our hazards and turn signals work off of "flashers", better known as round can looking canisters. The location of the turn signal one various with year from my understanding. So make sure those are good!

Wiring (this was my problem)
Get a wiring diagram and make sure the wires go accordingly with the connector. They can sometimes unplug themselves and you find yourself blindy putting them in the next vacant hole. With me, someone had previously been around my dash and those wires. At some point, a few came unplugged and they just threw them back in there. If you're unsure, get a wiring diagram.

Last but not least, Multifunction switch and/or Hazard switch
I've learned that these work together. That O/Y wire coming from the hazard switch gives power to the multifunction switch for your turn signals. Circuit talk. Don't go throwing any multifunction switch on there. I've heard that not all are interchangeable.

These are the steps that dreamer1uk walked me through to diagnose my problem and I hope it is of help to some of the others that are having turn signal problems. If any of the experts see any errors in what I've stated above or have any input, please feel free. We're here to help each other out!