5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

VORTECH INSTALLED! (with pic)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

Default VORTECH INSTALLED! (with pic)

well i installed my vortech v3 H.O. finally... Using the FMU, 6btm, and t-rex inline fuel pump...

with 6* base timing and the dial on the 6btm set to 1.75 this thing HAULS!
It's amazing, I guess I did it all right, thanks to yall!!! Have no problems, runs better than when I first had it, (probably due to a tune up at the same time). I shift at 5k and the thing pulls harder and harder the higher the RPM's go!

Any idea on the PSI im pushing with 6* base and 1.75 on the dial?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

sick man looks good! would recomend not ripping on the car to much until you get it on a dyno with a tuner to make sure its not running lean
Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

congrats on the install, looks nice.....
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

thanks!!

and the next $1200 I get i'm getting 42lb injectors, matching mass air flow meter, tune, and MT 295/55/15's.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Only thing I would suggest right now before you take it out and thrash on it is too put a timing light on it first. I know you said you have your base timing set and all but put the light on a rev it to see if your BTM is working properly. You want to see what your full advance is and how much timing the BTM is pulling. See if the BTM is pulling it out like it should be and that it is working properly before you go thrashing on it. Also, what plugs are you running? Gap is very important and plug type on forced induction. It can make or break your whole setup very quickly!! You might not be running enough timing and that could screw your motor up quickly too!! Sounds like you got a nice and clean setup there though!! Congrats!! This is mostly a street car, you planning on running an innercooler? Or putting a meth kit on it? The hot summer months come around and that 6 pounds will turn into 4 pounds really quickly!!
Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 AM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blown408
Only thing I would suggest right now before you take it out and thrash on it is too put a timing light on it first. I know you said you have your base timing set and all but put the light on a rev it to see if your BTM is working properly. You want to see what your full advance is and how much timing the BTM is pulling. See if the BTM is pulling it out like it should be and that it is working properly before you go thrashing on it. Also, what plugs are you running? Gap is very important and plug type on forced induction. It can make or break your whole setup very quickly!! You might not be running enough timing and that could screw your motor up quickly too!! Sounds like you got a nice and clean setup there though!! Congrats!! This is mostly a street car, you planning on running an innercooler? Or putting a meth kit on it? The hot summer months come around and that 6 pounds will turn into 4 pounds really quickly!!
Okay, so take the spout out? After I do that shouldnt it read 6* still? And when I rev with the btm set for 2 lets say, what will it do? go less than 6? I was thinking also about setting my base timing to 8*. Advice? And I don't plan on running an intercooler. I am running autolite 24's with a ~.32 gap.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:32 PM
g3mustang
3rd Gear Member

my base timing is 14* with no btm but im only running 6psi and i have a wideband. your probably running closer to 9 psi what every car is different would touch it untill you get a tune or wideband on it... IMO
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

If my base timing is at 6* and the dial is at 1.5 (which is like ~9 psi according to vortech), but does the fact that its suspost to be at 10* base timing mean im not running 9lbs boost? Or am i running 9 lbs and the lower 6* base timing just make it a little slower? I read that 7lbs is most i should go with 19lb injectors and fmu, but if im running 9, is it ok with 6* base timing?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 PM
mustang283
2nd Gear Member

question does this dial control the boost my motor gets? i'm SO confused plz help?????

I know it retards timing in relation to boost, but is my motor only getting 5lbs of boost if i dial it down to 3?
Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Blown408
2nd Gear Member

Ok, heres how it breaks down... The Boost retard control **** does not control your boost. It controls your timing. Example: If you set the dial at 1, it pulls 1 degree of timing for every 1 pound of boost that your motor gets. If you set it at 3, it pulls three degrees out of your timing per every 1 pound of boost. So, your initial timing is set at 6 right now. This is where you really need a boost gauge to see at what rpm your car starts making boost and how much boost you are really making. When you rev your car and the timing advances, your car starts making boost. The BTM starts pulling timing out to safegaurd from detenation. So lets say you set your **** at 1, when you are at full boost (6 pounds in your case), you are pulling out 6 degrees of timing. You set it at 3, when you are in full boost you will be pulling out 18 degrees of timing. Long story short, you can probably set your timing around 14 degrees and pull out 1 degree of timing to be safe. So set your **** at 1!! You could probably stretch it even more than that but that is on you!! Just please keep on checking your plugs, and go get a wideband also!! If you set your timing too low you can run into problems also, your car will run hot and detonate also. You have to play with it too find that fine line!! I hope you got all that!!

Quick Reply: VORTECH INSTALLED! (with pic)