5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looing for Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

heli coil isnt hard i had to do it to my fuel rail on the intake and when i rebuilt a 240sx motor i had to do it in the head ended up torquing the bolt to factory spec and it held
Old 04-03-2011, 12:47 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I bet I could do it without taking it out of the car with this

http://www.amazon.com/Heli-Coil-5402.../dp/B002KF97W0
Old 04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah I know what those are now, I just didn't reconize the name heli coil, I just knew them as thread repair kits. I may go get me one I have to repair one or two holes in my GT-40 lower.

Thanks guys, that save me money!!! Didn't even think about those lol.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

^^^^those crank bolts are larger than 5/8 I thought and the material is hard iirc, not sure how easy it'd be to drill.....to bad you're not closer, I have 3 cranks that just need a clean up that you could have
Old 04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hey I do have one quick question. Exactly how do I test to see if the IAC and TPS sensors are bad. I know I need one of those testers, can't think of their exact name at the moment, but exactly what am I looking for? I think I'm gonna start tearing my block back down tomorrow but would really like to know exactly how to test these two sensors before I start pulling it apart. I have high suspiciousions that one or both are bad but need to know for sure. If I can do this without buying a new motor I will but I doubt that will happen. But I can save money by cutting out parts I don't need off the new motor. As it sits all I really need is the block, fuel injectors, and power steering pump. But if those two sensors are bad then I'd need those too.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

But to give a good deffinition as to what's wrong with my current motor here it is:

The car starts up as should be immidiatly after starting the idel becomes irradic often struggling to run and the engine runs extremely rough even when the idel is somewhat normal almost as if it's a miss but everything is brand new and I actually replaced everything two or even three times ignition wise over the past year trying to get this thing to run because of all that was wrong with it. I'm no longer getting white smoke out the exhaust, since my last rebuild, however the motor is running terribly and I'm also wondering if that's not partly because the crank pulley isn't 100% seated, it sticks out appro 1/2" too far (that's approx how much of the crank was stripped out).

My guess is the IAC sensor is bad. Causing part that problem, but even when it failed before the car never ran so bad. There is no knocking just extremely poor engine operation.

My thinking at this point is I'm tired of pulling this motor apart, putting it together only for something else to be wrong so I'm just gonna get a newer motor with less miles which I know everything runs and is warrantied and go from there unless somebody could give me a damn good idea as to what may be wrong. Also, for a little while it was leaking oil out the belhousing (engine oil) suggesting a blown rear main seal, however this problem was intermintant and not persistant. Hasn't done it in a while, but when it did it poored out the back, but only after load was applied while the engines RPMs were returning to idel.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:09 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

it runs fine at times and others is really rich and has a rolling idle may be a vacuum leak somewhere. Does the car have anything other than a stock cam?

The tps can be tested by prodding two of the three wires. Really just need one. I can't remember which one it is but, I believe it is the green wire on the foxbody. Not sure on your car but, it is probably the same.

The IAC should code if it is bad. Seems like it is a 12. I would get a obd1 tester for 20 bucks or at least by a book to give me the definitions of the codes if you decide to pull the codes by jumping the wires.

The problem with the helicoil is that is so expensive for a heli coil kit. If it didn't work, you would be out that money.....On that note, it may be possible to drill it out, go to a larger bolt and just not use the helicoil at all. If you do decide to do it, I would have someone else do it that has done it before and will be very patient with it.

Last edited by TrimDrip; 04-04-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

not really an opinion on your situation but, I just made my best effort on another site to sell mine in a want to buy ad. Guy said he had the money and wants a 1.5 so I gave him the best deal I could. The truth is, this supercharger will never hook on a car like ours driven on the street unless the timing is way too low or we ride around on slicks all the time.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

sell the car, buy the ho a honda
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
nightmare90gt
2nd Gear Member

i would just buy a new crank might be easier in the long run

Quick Reply: Looing for Opinions