5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

finally back to the boards (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302army187
well I'm talking about the guys that know every trick in the book, have 20 oem cams all profiled and pick the best one, ton's of "sneaky" bottom end work, only running one compression ring, and limited oil rings, and all kinds of crazy junk.

pretty sure most of those run low 11's high 10's on skinny DR's or slicks
No way.
NHRA stock eliminator cars run with full sets of rings, stock heads, no 'power adders'. Nothing really crazy about them.
The cams they use are stock lift and any duration, most run about 245-250 @.050 however.
NHRA classes for 5.0 FOX body cars are usually M/S, N/S. M/S record now is 11.98 but there could well be a quicker car someplace on the planet.
Go over to NHRA's website sometime and read the rules, they are VERY restrictive.
I can tell you from ekperience that those guys go as qick as they do by getting the chassis working just right and using tire/gears for the best effect......
Those cars are also very expensive, start maybe about 30 grand.........
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
No way.
NHRA stock eliminator cars run with full sets of rings, stock heads, no 'power adders'. Nothing really crazy about them.
The cams they use are stock lift and any duration, most run about 245-250 @.050 however.
NHRA classes for 5.0 FOX body cars are usually M/S, N/S. M/S record now is 11.98 but there could well be a quicker car someplace on the planet.
Go over to NHRA's website sometime and read the rules, they are VERY restrictive.
I can tell you from ekperience that those guys go as qick as they do by getting the chassis working just right and using tire/gears for the best effect......
Those cars are also very expensive, start maybe about 30 grand.........
well I'm just throwing it out there. I don't know for sure, and i know the classes are very strict. But it was my understanding that there was some sneaky mod's being done, besides all the rules.

Guess I do need to educate myself a little more on it, haha.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

30k and the car has a bone stock motor? i knew chassis shops were expensive but damn
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Yep. Competitive stock eliminator racers have like $5000 'stock' heads.
A lot of the engine work is the balancing/machine work.
That's why a good car for the classes that a FOX mustang could run in ends up being a $30K car..........
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

You also gotta think, they may spend 30k on a car but they can win that back quick.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

tinman, to me that is not stock then since it takes modifying and machining to get to where they need to be. i pulled motor from an 87 took some accessories off and im trying to see what i can do
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Gotta think Epic... everyone reads a set of words a little different than others so the interpretation can be blurred from one person to another...but that is the calass that they compete in....there is a small.....very small class that has people that have not touched the bottom end at all...

hell I know stock...but my version of stock is different than others...if its OEM..(gt40's, explorer,cobra,eaton) it is still stock lol but other are a little more exact than that...
Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

looks like a nice car man

but you gots to run a 26 inch tire.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

True, there is 'stock' as in NHRA legal and then there is stock as you are saying with the OEM type combos that maybe the factory never offered but should have.
As a former stock eliminator racer I'll tell you that 'stock' can take on some very strange meanings, expensive ones.
I really like the idea of your meaning as long as non OEM power adders are left out.
Ever heard of an acid ported head/intake? That'll give you an idea of where some of that money goes..........
Old 12-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Epic91GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Gotta think Epic... everyone reads a set of words a little different than others so the interpretation can be blurred from one person to another...but that is the calass that they compete in....there is a small.....very small class that has people that have not touched the bottom end at all...

hell I know stock...but my version of stock is different than others...if its OEM..(gt40's, explorer,cobra,eaton) it is still stock lol but other are a little more exact than that...
i dont disagree with you as my car is a 4cyl that i swapped a v8 into so if i went to the extreme i would automatically be out. but r u saying that u can put a eaton supercharger on your car off a cobra and since it is an OEM adder it is fine to use?

Originally Posted by tinman
True, there is 'stock' as in NHRA legal and then there is stock as you are saying with the OEM type combos that maybe the factory never offered but should have.
As a former stock eliminator racer I'll tell you that 'stock' can take on some very strange meanings, expensive ones.
I really like the idea of your meaning as long as non OEM power adders are left out.
Ever heard of an acid ported head/intake? That'll give you an idea of where some of that money goes..........
i believe u as ive been around the track, i have never heard of anyone acid porting heads but if it is anything like acid dipping a body (car body that is) than i get the picture

Quick Reply: finally back to the boards (pics)