5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

New build..how to get what I want?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 AM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Default New build..how to get what I want?

Ok, I got rid of the sn95 and got a bone stock 91 gt.(minus cat back flowmasters). It's an auto with 166k on it. Runs great. But, ready to throw some money into it. I would like to stick with auto since it already is, but maybe a c4 with manual valve body and converter or something. I did just today pick up a rear end with 4.10's installed. (car has 2.73's now) so that should help a little. But, here's the big question, I am OPEN to any set up as far as motor. I would LIKE to supercharge or turbo it. (I've heard turbo's aren't best for DD's.) Now, this car won't be driven EVERY day, but frequently so there's the first part. Not worried so much about fuel mileage, but, plan on taking it to the track a couple times a month...but would like to see low 11's high 10's. The biggest thing, I am DEFINATELY a bang for the bucker, so, the cheapest way possible is what I need guys. PLEASE give your input. I'm not REAL smart on this stuff. I mean, I know the BASICS, and am willing to research everything. and I'm pretty decent with my hands so I plan on a lot of DIY. The big question is...302, 351...306,308, I know the difference in the bore, but which is best for what I need/want? stroker...? What's the big difference between a roller and non roller? should I stay MAF or is speed density better? and I have HEARD that strokers are great, but due to compression you can't use power adders as easily. But, I've heard also that that is false. Thanks guys. I know Adder, and probably mjr from what I've read will probably give input. Thank you again guys.

Last edited by drumpro80; 07-02-2011 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Stroker dosent mean high compression! IF turbos werent good for DD`s then why do most cars now come with one?

Roller is well roller, the lifters have rollers on the bottom that ride on the cam lobe removing lots of unwanted frction.

Non-roller has a flat bottom the spins against the cam lobe creating friction and wear!

Best bang for your buck will be 347, decent H/C/I and some nitrous.
MAF definatly why go backwards?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:34 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you want bang for the buck.........ON3 performance turbo kit, 12-15 psi on the stock long block should get you 11's with the proper suspension set up and tires...as well as choosing the right convertor....junk the AOD that is currently there and buy a well built AOD that'll handle some power, I'd stick with an AOD since you'll be D/D'ing it.....why??? OVERDRIVE!!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well put!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by mjr46
you want bang for the buck.........ON3 performance turbo kit, 12-15 psi on the stock long block should get you 11's with the proper suspension set up and tires...as well as choosing the right convertor....junk the AOD that is currently there and buy a well built AOD that'll handle some power, I'd stick with an AOD since you'll be D/D'ing it.....why??? OVERDRIVE!!!!
351w swap, GT40 or aftermarket heads, and this...

http://on3performance.com/mustang351.html

10's all day long. But 4.10's are going to hurt you with that setup.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 PM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Ok I have seen the on3 kits. I also read about cxperformance being cheap to build a turbo kit with in the newest mm&ff. If I did a Windsor, what would I need to do to it to make it handle the turbo kit and not have issues? That means keeping it injected right? Someone had told me to basically end up re-building a 5.8 lightning motor with some mid grade heads/c/I and doing a DIY turbo kit with a c4. Seems like it wouldn't be too expensive to do, but not sure what how it would hold up. I've heard a lot of people say to go 351w and not to waste time on a 302. Of course I've seen some FAST 302s. I appreciate you guys' input. Right now I'm not on a "limit" for money, but that's because it'll be as I get the money kind of thing. It'll just take longer the more expensive it is. Any ballpark of what to expect if I do the 351? As far as money and what set up would be best to achieve what I'm after plus usable for a street application? Thanks again guys
Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

my personal opinion... get some iron GT40's (because they are cheap), and toss in a junkyard roller 351.

That way if it blows up, you wont give a ****, because a new bottom end will be what... $500! However itll still make 400-500hp with ease!
Old 07-02-2011, 01:40 PM
drumpro80
1st Gear Member

Ok what should I expect to pay for a 351 at a junk yard? Any idea? Is there a year range that's better to look for or no? And then what, just freshen it up with rings bearings and maybe some arps? And would I just use my stock intake and injection? Minus injectors of course with the turbo kit. Oh, and should I go to 3.73 gears instead? I had just read that 4.10s are better with aod set UPS. But I trust u guys opinions. Just wast sure
Old 07-02-2011, 02:04 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by drumpro80
Ok what should I expect to pay for a 351 at a junk yard? Any idea?
Depends on the yard, but $500 would be a reasonable assumption

Is there a year range that's better to look for or no?
94+ for a roller engine

And then what, just freshen it up with rings bearings and maybe some arps?
Nah, just throw it in. If it blows up, get another, then rebuild the blown up one with beefy components.

And would I just use my stock intake and injection? Minus injectors of course with the turbo kit.
Your stock intake wont fit, you will need a 5.8l intake.

Oh, and should I go to 3.73 gears instead? I had just read that 4.10s are better with aod set UPS. But I trust u guys opinions. Just wast sure
stick to 3.27 or 3.55 MAX. the turbo is going to really take over where most people need to gear up the car.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

3.27 or 3.31 gears .........