5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Winter Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:57 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

id rather have a set of Edekbrock E-Streets that Fox Lake has had their hand in...

$1500 for a BRAND NEW set of 300+ cfm heads? yes please
Old 07-01-2012, 02:36 PM
parrfive

The end product. The best i have done so far with the junk heads. 10.91 @ 127
Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by parrfive
The end product. The best i have done so far with the junk heads. 10.91 @ 127
don't forget the n02 that helped that run happen.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:46 AM
parrfive

Tell me Wal-mart how could i forget about my gas? That is a 50 shot and as soon as i can get back up there im going to change to 100 and run mid 10's. I cant believe the heads didnt turn to dust.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Tell me Wal-mart how could i forget about my gas? That is a 50 shot and as soon as i can get back up there im going to change to 100 and run mid 10's. I cant believe the heads didnt turn to dust.
don't get mad at me cause you gotta use the gas to get your car to run the numbers, let see where they are when they have 3-400 runs them not 3-4 runs
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
parrfive

Na buddy not mad at you. I've got 31 total passes and about 1500 street miles on the car sense i finished it. I really believe that most of the pro-comp head failures are due to people buying them assembled instead of putting high quality valve train components in them by someone who knows what there doing. Time will tell and if I have a problem ill be the first to admit it. My goal is to have a 10 sec street car with no gas but still have some work to do. My best all motor pass is 11.39. Its tough with a 5 speed to hit it just right off the line.

Last edited by parrfive; 07-06-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Na buddy not mad at you. I've got 31 total passes and about 1500 street miles on the car sense to i finished it. I really believe that most of the pro-comp head failures are due to people buying them assembled instead of putting high quality valve train components in them by someone who knows what there doing. Time will tell and if I have a problem ill be the first to admit it. My goal is to have a 10 sec street car with no gas but still have some work to do. My best all motor pass is 11.39. Its tough with a 5 speed to hit it just right off the line.
if you've put good parts in them then they may last longer, another issue with them has valve placement/guide location, but that can be bandaid fixed with adjustable guide plates to some extent.... have fun with it and good luck, I'm sure you'll hit the goal when the weather gets cool
Old 11-12-2012, 06:53 AM
parrfive

When your right your right. like i said i would be the first it admit it when I'm wrong. Since my last post I've striped the car completely. All upr stuff front and rear and full cage and no interior at all including dash. Car at 2702 with me in it. In San Antonio three weeks ago all motor pass was 10.89. second pass turned on 100 shot clutch started slipping. After third pass oil psi dropped to 10 psi at idle. Wasn't willing to take a chance so back in the trailer. Got home cut the filter and found metal. Yanked and tore down and found number 2 cam bearing out and 3 and 4 coming out. took a few to realize why but 2, 3 and 4 crank webbing cracked all the way to the cam journals. Now to the procomp heads. Took them to the machine shop to have them checked. Every guide was very sloppy and heads would have come apart if the bottom end wouldn't have. They are junk even with good parts in them. 1500 miles and about 50 passes. Building a dart 427 with afr 225. live and learn.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

When your right your right. like i said i would be the first it admit it when I'm wrong. Since my last post I've striped the car completely. All upr stuff front and rear and full cage and no interior at all including dash. Car at 2702 with me in it. In San Antonio three weeks ago all motor pass was 10.89. second pass turned on 100 shot clutch started slipping. After third pass oil psi dropped to 10 psi at idle. Wasn't willing to take a chance so back in the trailer. Got home cut the filter and found metal. Yanked and tore down and found number 2 cam bearing out and 3 and 4 coming out. took a few to realize why but 2, 3 and 4 crank webbing cracked all the way to the cam journals. Now to the procomp heads. Took them to the machine shop to have them checked. Every guide was very sloppy and heads would have come apart if the bottom end wouldn't have. They are junk even with good parts in them. 1500 miles and about 50 passes. Building a dart 427 with afr 225. live and learn.
that sucks, but I do respect you a lot for being upstanding to come back and post the end result, hopefully people will see this and be able to use it to their benefit to make a good choice...........on a side note, I may be in the same boat blockwise when I run mine in the spring, it has all good parts surrounding the block, however, the block is my weak link, stock roller block and it seems that a lot of people are splitting their stock blocks in that range/mph where you were.......so I'm rolling the dice as well ... good luck on the new build
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM
parrfive

You should really consider putting a diaper under that motor if you haven’t already. At the first of the summer the guy that ran after my pass blew his motor at 1000 ft. and hit the wall. Oil hit the slicks from what I understand and he passed away. Bad day in S.A. Better safe when pushing it.

Quick Reply: Winter Build