5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Winter Build

Old 11-04-2011, 05:00 PM
parrfive

Default Winter Build

I’ve been reading and searching this forum now for the last few months. After lots of looking I settled on an 89 gt hatch back. Had to go north of San Antonio to find one with no rust. I live on the gulf and no rust is hard to come by and very expensive. In not a car mechanic but have been an outboard and motorcycle mechanic all my life. Ive raced everything I could but never cars. Did allot of drag racing on bikes years ago in San Antonio. Now to old and fat to do the bikes again so im going to do it in a car. Anyway the car is a 5 speed 5.0. Ive stripped the car down to nothing, yanked and sold the old motor, redoing the interior and completely repainting it. The car did have a few good go fast parts on it that I keep but not much. After all ive read I went with a 347 long block built by a good friend of mine that has a machine shop that builds lots of blown drag motor for guys all over the country. I spent allot of time researching heads and intake. After talking to my buddy he told me to go with procomp heads and intake and that he could make them flow as good as arf's for much cheaper and spend the savings on more stuff. I looked at both heads after he got done and glad I went that way. He did a hell of job on the heads and intake. Will post pics if any body cares. I have a boat dealership so im doing it all at my shop. It seems like everyone that walks in says they always wanted to do what im doing but was afraid of the cost. For all you guys out there that are thinking of doing this ill be more than happy to share the cost with you. Like I said im a boat dealer and I do lots of barding when I can. The service manager at my ford dealer where I buy my trucks is a fiend and has a boat so we do some trading. He wants a talon so he’s painting the car there. Talon cost is about a grand. For the long block with the head and intake porting from my machine shop buddy (he also has a boat) was about 3800. I paid 4500 for the car. Now were at 9300.00 before anything else and believe me there’s allot more. Did most of my shopping on e-bay and summit and it has really added up. Ill post a list if anyone's interested. Motor is ready to install but don’t have the car back from paint yet. I did decide to rip out all the efi stuff and go carb so I could run much more cam. It’s been lots of fun so far but not for the meek. If I had it to do over again I may hove bought one already done and probably would have saved lots on money but ive enjoyed the process so much and it’s been worth the extra money. I’m told the motor should put out between 450 and 500 H.P. but won’t really know till it hit the dyno.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you should of researched the pro-comp heads a little more, less than desirable are the valvetrain components they use.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Did you actually see flow numbers before and after your buddy did the work???
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 AM
parrfive

Like i said he's a good freind and knows that i could afford other heads. He does get the heads bare and installs all the valve train parts including the seats. I didnt ask for the flow numbers. I trust him and he's judgment. If there's a problem im sure we'll do something else.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Either way...good luck.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You could have gone out and bought one of those 'Professionslly Built' engines.
I had one that came with my car when I got it.
Had 1 Chevy valve in it and 15 trick flow ones, Wrong head gaskets, wrong valve spring on the Chevy valve. cam installed 1 entire tooth off.
After that mess maybe I should hang out a sign saying 'Engines Built Here'

If you are in any sort of business you know well the old saying, you get what you pay for.......
Anyway, good luck with the car and post some E.T./MPH results.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by tinman
You could have gone out and bought one of those 'Professionslly Built' engines.
I had one that came with my car when I got it.
Had 1 Chevy valve in it and 15 trick flow ones, Wrong head gaskets, wrong valve spring on the Chevy valve. cam installed 1 entire tooth off.
After that mess maybe I should hang out a sign saying 'Engines Built Here'

If you are in any sort of business you know well the old saying, you get what you pay for.......
Anyway, good luck with the car and post some E.T./MPH results.

Crap like this is why I don't buy built stuff from other people......one of my soliders bought a motor from some guy who "built" it for his RSX that he blew up and I had to pull most of the damn thing apart to install parts that the idiot forgot.....
Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM
parrfive

Fordstroker block. Scat 4340 crank and h-beem rods. Kieth Black 10.5 pistons and all ARP bolts. I Watched 90% of the build. This post was not ment to a debate about what ya'll think is a crap motor but a guide to the cost of someone who's thinking about diving in on a build. I know and have read what everybody thinks about procomp stuff but i still trust my freinds judgement. Time will tell but i got much more than i paid for. i'll post pics.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:37 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

have fun...
Old 11-06-2011, 03:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

TL;DR

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winter Build