5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Tubular K member pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

easy fix, weld on your own....
Old 11-08-2011, 09:51 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I thought that I saw a 'K' member that was to put a mod motor into a FOX for sale online just recently......
I don't know how much fabbing experience you have but even if it cost $500 it would be cheaper/easier than doing one yourself........
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

AJE, Maximum motor sports, Team Z, and QA1 I know make swap K members for the mod motor in a Fox.....If I bought one it would be MM's because of the way I drive my cars on the streets....

Easier yes it would be but cheaper? Not by a long shot.... The only thing I don't personally have is a tubing bender at the moment. I also don't plan on making one just for myself but I have some friends, such as Texas Tanker, who would purchase one from me. I have access to many different welders between myself, a buddy of mine and my vocational school.

But either way, my fabrication/welding skills are well up to the work..I just need to make myself take the time to make it all perfect and not rush like I have with some previous projects. That is the point of my 83....it is going to be a slow and meticulous build to be my DD with the wife and kids and be my test car for my built suspension parts...
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Originally Posted by projectresto83
easy fix, weld on your own....
For what the Team Z costs, No way I'd consider touching that thing with a welder. Too expensive in too pretty I can say though that the UPR was lighter than the Team Z, but the quality of the Team Z was a million times better.

Originally Posted by tinman
I thought that I saw a 'K' member that was to put a mod motor into a FOX for sale online just recently......
I don't know how much fabbing experience you have but even if it cost $500 it would be cheaper/easier than doing one yourself........
Several companies make a mod motor swap k member. 500.00 for just the k member is a little pricy. I'm interested to see what he can come up with
Old 11-08-2011, 10:20 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I will never purchase UPR stuff to use on my car...if its free then yea I would but yea...they are just not my cup of tea

I love to drag race but both of my cars are street beasts/corner carvers. That is why I would only get a MM.....
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I bought the UPR from kwebb. He gave me a good deal on it but after reading a lot of the complaints I decided I was going to replace it. Then my Dad curbed it and broke a control arm and bent the damn thing. Worked out good for me because I was able to buy the Team Z faster and he paid for half of it. In his defense though, a truck ran him into the curb. I agree though. UPR isn't for me.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by motorman524
I bought the UPR from kwebb. He gave me a good deal on it but after reading a lot of the complaints I decided I was going to replace it. Then my Dad curbed it and broke a control arm and bent the damn thing. Worked out good for me because I was able to buy the Team Z faster and he paid for half of it. In his defense though, a truck ran him into the curb. I agree though. UPR isn't for me.
Thats why I am not putting a drag racing K member in the street car....I am also gonna be installing a K member brace as well so that will help...

How bad and where did it bend it???
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Messed it up pretty good. Basically the control arm pulled the k member when the tire grabbed the curb. It pulled the bar that the motor mounts bolt to back a little and almost collapsed the back of the k member. Broke a few welds too. Luckily the car was not damaged. Just the wheel and the tire rubbed some of the side skirt. This was a year and a half ago. Put the Team Z in about a week later.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by motorman524
Messed it up pretty good. Basically the control arm pulled the k member when the tire grabbed the curb. It pulled the bar that the motor mounts bolt to back a little and almost collapsed the back of the k member. Broke a few welds too. Luckily the car was not damaged. Just the wheel and the tire rubbed some of the side skirt. This was a year and a half ago. Put the Team Z in about a week later.
not the first time I have heard of UPR welds breaking..... The weld should never break. It is supposed to be stronger than the rest of the metal...but unfortunately mass production welding parts such as this can tend to cause the welds to be crappy....I have seen it alot in many parts (no specific brand)..that is why I prefer to do things myself. I prefer a hand built piece when it comes to the welds.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:36 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I've had my upr stuf for a few years with no issues, I drive my car on the street way more than at the track. Hell I also have skinnies on it too..

Quick Reply: Tubular K member pics