5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

YAY.....d^mn clutch cable....

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Default YAY.....d^mn clutch cable....

I was out with the wife doing some birthday shopping for my youngest daughter and as I was driving I push the clutch in.....pop.....mmmmmkay......a couple more actuations....pop, crack.....pop...clutch pedal gets more and more sloppy until it gets to the point where the clutch releases right off the floor. I finally get to Olive Garden where we were going to eat lunch and I pop the hood and see that it is broke at the very bottom where the cable goes into the adjustment piece....just hanging there.....by one strand of cable...

Well I make it home by just using the clutch for take off and make the trans use its syncros to shift every other gear.....

This is the first thing that has actually broke since I built the car so I can't complain. It was a LRS adjustable cable. I have had it for about 2 years now. Whats screwed up is that I know 2 other people who had the cable and broke theirs pretty easily but mine lasted so long with no issues....well $23.99 later and 10 mins the car will be back on the road in a couple hours when I get a chance to work on it..
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Did it break at the trans, or up under the dash?
Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Ive had my car for 6 years and have put 5 cables in it. I finally said screw it and bought a the 5th cable from MM. So far it hasnt brake and works great. Broke 3 ford Racing and 1 upr cable.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Originally Posted by Boss_Hotrod
Ive had my car for 6 years and have put 5 cables in it. I finally said screw it and bought a the 5th cable from MM. So far it hasnt brake and works great. Broke 3 ford Racing and 1 upr cable.
i suppose I should pose my question to you as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Mine broke right at the trans, where the cable is crimped into the threaded adjustment rod.... pics to follow...

I know oatburner's exploded out the side of the cable where it bolts to the frame (if I remember right)....the other guys I am not sure since it happened after I left TX.

Again, I just purchased the APT (ATP maybe IDK..) $25 cable from Advance. I now have a much easier clutch pedal!

Comparing the 2 cables (advance and LRS's)....LRS's bottom half of the sheathing is reinforced and this causes the cable to drag, giving it the heavy feel. The advance cable itself seems thicker than the LRS cable.

Everyone that has pressed my pedal mentions about how heavy the pedal was and truthfully I thought it was normal since it was the only way my car has been setup and I know the FRPP clutches have a decent pedal..
Old 11-14-2011, 08:03 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Oat's clutch cable, same brand....2 year difference in purchase so who knows on quality...

Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

UGH, now you have me thinking about replacing my LRS cable....
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I've only broken one cable. the second one got melted... I have since created a heat shield for my cable and haven't had any more issues. I do however keep a spare cable around.... just in case.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

The upr cable was the 1st I had. It came in the car dont know the age of it. It broke up at the quadrant probably about 4-5 inches from the crimp. The next one was a ford racing, it split out of the casing at the firewall adjuster, Next ford racing one broke at the plastic piece at the bellhousing. Next ford racing one started braking in the same spot. It basically started collapsing on itself. So far the MM one has stood up to my spec stage 3 clutch for a year now. I love it.

Quick Reply: YAY.....d^mn clutch cable....