5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Last Stand: 90 Notch 347 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:29 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Default My Last Stand: 90 Notch 347 Build

I haven't posted on here in a while, and for good reasons. A lot of you guys know my build and I have bad news. The car is toast. The guy that I paid to fix my 87 hatch did a total hack job and split on me. He moved back to Illinois and I have no way to reach him. What I thought was a good job turned out to be total junk. As I was putting the car back together, I noticed that the rocker panels are WAY off and the floor pan wasn't correctly installed. The whole car is crooked now. What sucks is that I have already installed my roll cage, subframe connectors, and had most of the car together.

It took a while to decide what to do. I was either going to sell everything I had and get out of Mustangs completely, or find a nice rust free roller. So I decided to go with the roller. I've got a lot of time and money into trying to make a nice Mustang and I really couldn't bring myself to just quit. Anyway, I've been searching for a while and came up with a really clean Notch from Illinois. It came with a few goodies that I should be able to sell and make most of my money back. Paid 1K for it.

The underside has very small spots of light surface rust but that's it. Everything is really solid. The gray interior is complete and pretty nice as well, some dummy painted a few pieces red though(which I'm going to replace with stuff I have). My plan is to clean up and coat the underside with POR 15, paint the engine bay the color the rest of the car will eventually be, and put all of my stuff into it. The paint job isn't bad on it, it just looks dumb. I'm not in a hurry to paint the rest of the car until the end of the year. Not sure what color I want yet, maybe red, gray, or blue. I just want to put my stuff in and have some seat time this summer. So here is my final attempt at a killer foxbody.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Js88lx
3rd Gear Member

damn..., that was a nice hatch 2!! We have to track down this imbecile for playing around with peoples babies!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

clean notch
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Well you did find a nice one to resart with! Good luck this time!! You should post name and info for people who may live in his new town or city as a warning to his crappy work!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I've been doing a lot of deconstruction to both cars, so I figured I'd share a few pics. I'm hoping to be cruising by the middle of June.

I came across some light surface rust while I was stripping the inside. It turns out the door hadn't been sealing for who knows how long, so water would get onto the rear floor pan when it rained. I've scraped off the bubbling paint and coated it with POR15. Everything else is great

Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
foxstang302
1st Gear Member

Is that a 93 cobra booster and MC? If so how was the pedal feel. I got that set up waiting to be installed in my notch. Your new notch looks solid good luck with the build.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:00 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

Yeah it is. The pedal is no longer hard like it was with the regular booster.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM
9redfox3
4th Gear Member

Man" that sucks Jon when you hear story's like this .Hope your next build is more positive for you! Good find on the Notch...
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

^^Thanks for the kind words. But I have some bad news.... I found RUST!!!!!! In four different places!!!! I don't believe the guy that sold it to me knew about it though because he only had it for a short time before selling it to me. I spent 30 minutes looking the car over before I bought it and didn't ever notice them. I found it while prepping the engine bay today and started checking the rest of the car over inch by inch. Someone had riveted pieces of aluminum over the spots and used bondo to cover it up. I'll be fixing it myself this time by cutting pieces from the other car and welding them into place. I still feel way better about this roller though because it is much more solid overall and everything lines up right. The floor pans and the rest of the car are near perfect. Today I cut most of the rust out but I still have a bit to go.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I just can't catch a break with this crap. I've got a MIG, some weld through primer, and a cutting wheel ready to go, so all of this WILL be fixed tomorrow. I'm not going to let it get me down or interfere with my goal date.

Quick Reply: My Last Stand: 90 Notch 347 Build