5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

valve springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 AM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Default valve springs

Alright guys i have an e cam and i dont know what springs to get to meet the required spring pressure and i was wondering if i could get springs with more pressure than the required amount, and how would that benefit me, any advice is appreciated
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

It won't benefit you at all. If anything it will hurt you by putting more resistance on the cam. As it spins the cam has to push harder to get the valve spring to compress and open the valve.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tony71502
It won't benefit you at all. If anything it will hurt you by putting more resistance on the cam. As it spins the cam has to push harder to get the valve spring to compress and open the valve.
really? that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Actually yes he will benefit from it, due to the fact having a better seat pressure will keep your valves closed @ higher RPMS. Also depends on what rocker's he's using. The cam doesn't care how hard those push rods are pushing down on it dude. All it does is spin, that's it.

Originally Posted by van-swink85
Alright guys i have an e cam and i dont know what springs to get to meet the required spring pressure and i was wondering if i could get springs with more pressure than the required amount, and how would that benefit me, any advice is appreciated
For what it's worth, I have an e cam in my car, with gt40's and ran a set of springs from Alex Parts, which are good up to .600' worth of lift. I initially put 1.7's on there, (which was .598 worth of lift) but the bolts were bottoming out in the head, so I went back to the 1.6's. They have a better lift and seat pressure capability than the trick flow's. Not only that, but you can't beat the price:
http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt...it-hyd-roller/
I've got around 1500 miles on my setup so far, and have ran the car all the way to 6800 rpm and it still pulls. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response oatburner but springs are gonna have to wait i just got gt40 heads and roller rockers not sure if they are 1.7 or 6 gonna find that out today, and when u say the bolts were bottoming out in the head what do u mean by that?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oatburner99
really? that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Actually yes he will benefit from it, due to the fact having a better seat pressure will keep your valves closed @ higher RPMS. Also depends on what rocker's he's using. The cam doesn't care how hard those push rods are pushing down on it dude. All it does is spin, that's it.

For what it's worth, I have an e cam in my car, with gt40's and ran a set of springs from Alex Parts, which are good up to .600' worth of lift. I initially put 1.7's on there, (which was .598 worth of lift) but the bolts were bottoming out in the head, so I went back to the 1.6's. They have a better lift and seat pressure capability than the trick flow's. Not only that, but you can't beat the price:
http://www.alexsparts.com/sb-ford-gt...it-hyd-roller/
I've got around 1500 miles on my setup so far, and have ran the car all the way to 6800 rpm and it still pulls. Hope this helps.
Explain to me how a 1.6 rocker can have a 'better' lift than a 1.7?
Old 06-20-2012, 05:31 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tinman
Explain to me how a 1.6 rocker can have a 'better' lift than a 1.7?
I was meaning the Alex Springs have a higher lift capability ans a higher seat pressure than the trick flow valve springs.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 AM
oatburner99
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by van-swink85
Thanks for the response oatburner but springs are gonna have to wait i just got gt40 heads and roller rockers not sure if they are 1.7 or 6 gonna find that out today, and when u say the bolts were bottoming out in the head what do u mean by that?
The hex bolts that bolt down the roller rocker to the head would bottom out on the cylinder head. When I torqued the roller rocker hex bolt to 22 ft lbs, I would reach that torque value and there would be a gap under the bolt head, and you could lift the roller rocker up around .060 of an inch. Because I didn't need very many shims under the springs to compensate for the bolt length, so I've got to get shorter bolts. Or just sell the 1.7's all together.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 AM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Ok just found out that mine are 1.7s with my gt40 heads so does that mean i will encounter th same problem as you did? And another question is i was told i would have to have something else because i was putting a windsor style head on a 302?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 AM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Like a bushing or something that goes from a 1/2 to a 7/16...ever heard of anything like that?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:30 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Measure the size of the holes on the new heads, if they are 7/16 they will work perfectly.
If they are 1/2" they will still work fine, just use the little locators Ford uses on the heads from factory.....

Quick Reply: valve springs