5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Alloy shafts worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM
Explosive

Default Alloy shafts worth it?

Well I'm going to set the Mach aside and work on the fox. Going to be a track only trailer there and back car. I work at a large resto store and can get a set of alloy 28 splines for under $160

Ive got my HCI combo (AFR 165s e303 and rpm air gap) and I'm gonna hit it with a 150 shot. Think they'll hold very long ? I'll be running a tremec 3550 and slicks

Last edited by Explosive; 07-22-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:39 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
Well I'm going to set the Mach aside and work on the fox. Going to be a track only trailer there and back car. I work at a large resto store and can get a set of alloy 28 splines for under $160

Ive got my HCI combo (AFR 165s e303 and rom air gap) and I'm gonna hit it with a 150 shot. Think they'll hold very long ? I'll be running a tremec 3550 and slicks
It'll be fine
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Explosive

You really think they'll hold ? I'd like to think I could maybe get through this season but I don't know if thats very realistic. They'd be cheap so it wouldn't be the end of the world if I broke one. Don't wanna wreck the car either though.

I'm kind of weighing my options and seeing what'd it cost me to get a spool/shafts/c clip eliminators and build the thing.

My plans now are to gut the car entirely, drop the fuel tank and put a cell in the back and the battery, do some more little chassis adjustments like different control arms, I've got steeda tubulars but I think i might get the team Z's double adjustables. reweld my subframes do the torque boxes and throw some slicks and a 150 shot at it.

Should move good. I wanted to boost the mach but I realized I'm just on a tighter budget than i want with that car at this time so I'm gonna leave it as is and build the fox some more. it's a lot cheaper for what I'll get out of it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:39 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the spool, c-clip eliminators and good axles.
I'd use at least a 31 spline set-up.
Nothing really there to break anymore and so it will be cheaper in the long run......
Old 07-21-2012, 07:35 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

I ran stock axles with my 347 and slicks for a while and never had an issue. Obviously there is no guarantee it'll last or not last.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Explosive

I'm thinkin the P2000FM kit

says 31 or 33 splines, might as well do the 33 splines eh ?

anyone heard of how the "lightweight" spools hold up ? lightweight me me think less material thus weaker, unless it's made from different metal.

Last edited by Explosive; 07-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

forget the lite weight spools not worth the extra money unless your running prostock, i have a set of team z lowers for sale 100 if you want them could pick them up after work one day. Also id go with the 33 spline but think long and hard before you go to do this. It would be in your advantage to have 9" ends put on basically similar to what im running.

shortened 8.8 with strange 9" ends 35 spline strange axles (largest you can run in a 8.8) strange standard spool, and 5/8 wheel studs.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Explosive

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
forget the lite weight spools not worth the extra money unless your running prostock, i have a set of team z lowers for sale 100 if you want them could pick them up after work one day. Also id go with the 33 spline but think long and hard before you go to do this. It would be in your advantage to have 9" ends put on basically similar to what im running.

shortened 8.8 with strange 9" ends 35 spline strange axles (largest you can run in a 8.8) strange standard spool, and 5/8 wheel studs.
I wasn't really looking for the light weight one. but it looked like the only one they offered for that kit.

I'm new to the c-clip eliminators ect. I'm trying to do this on a semi-decent budget. Not going cheap but not trying to go nuts here. Whats the advantage to going with 9" ends ? Hell i wish i didn't have to hack my ends off to begin with. I mean the kit i mentioned is what, $630 or $680 with the other studs, would it be that much cheaper to buy it individually and have the standard spool ? Also, you had teamz do your axle right ? I can weld, but my welder is not a 220, i've yet to have anything ive welded come undone but I don't know if I want to chance it with something like this. I've got a friend who knows how to set up gears pretty well so he'll come give me a hand with that. figured i could get this axle together for around 1k hopefully.

also, are those lowers the ones with sway bar mounts ?

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/da-lca2.htm

Good shape and everything ? if so i'll take them that way ill only have the uppers to buy. I hate the steeda tubular on the car now. it still hops like crazy with them. I guess if i come pick the arms up we could talk more about the rear axle.

You talking about these ends ?

Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Explosive
I wasn't really looking for the light weight one. but it looked like the only one they offered for that kit.

I'm new to the c-clip eliminators ect. I'm trying to do this on a semi-decent budget. Not going cheap but not trying to go nuts here. Whats the advantage to going with 9" ends ? Hell i wish i didn't have to hack my ends off to begin with. I mean the kit i mentioned is what, $630 or $680 with the other studs, would it be that much cheaper to buy it individually and have the standard spool ? Also, you had teamz do your axle right ? I can weld, but my welder is not a 220, i've yet to have anything ive welded come undone but I don't know if I want to chance it with something like this. I've got a friend who knows how to set up gears pretty well so he'll come give me a hand with that. figured i could get this axle together for around 1k hopefully.

also, are those lowers the ones with sway bar mounts ?

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/product_p/da-lca2.htm

Good shape and everything ? if so i'll take them that way ill only have the uppers to buy. I hate the steeda tubular on the car now. it still hops like crazy with them. I guess if i come pick the arms up we could talk more about the rear axle.

You talking about these ends ?

C clip elims can be know to leak, the 9" ends are stronger allow the axle more support and have a lot more options in terms of brakes etc. it also acts as a c clip elim but the bearing on the end seals the axle. I would have the axle tubes welded by a professional they have to be sqaured and need a real good weld not something to leave up to something that isnt a gas assisted and a 220 or higher amp welder. put it this way I have a 250 amp gas assited miller electric welder and I took it to have it welded. you probably would get it cheaper going with a package deal, if it comes with a lite weight spool thats fine it just has holes drilled out to reduce weight the strength is still there but if there was an option i figured the regular weight would have been cheaper.

I have the lca 1 which is the one that is not avaliable with a rear sway bar though a set could be welded on if you wanted to.

they are used but in great shape and ready to install.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Explosive

hmmm, so the 9" ends eliminate the eliminators ? I guess i'd have to check price differences, I just thought that whole kit for everything minus a gear set and install kit was a decent price. Yea I'll probably have it welded, mines a 110 gas which i've built trailers with that go to the UP many times a year and they hold up fine, i just triple pass everything with it. As for leakage, from my research so far it seems they leak from guys not cutting them properly ? My buddies got a steel chop saw, figure that should cut it better than a grinder although i can usually do pretty good with a cutoff wheel if i make a tape line.

I'll have to think about the arms, if they had the mounts i'd grab them for sure.

Quick Reply: Alloy shafts worth it?