5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Building 1990 302 top end and need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
VIT50

Default Building 1990 302 top end and need some advice

My car is pretty much stock (has full exhaust, cold air intake, 3.73 gears). I am looking to increase power with the first step being the top end of the engine. I plan on having either a super charger or turbo set up in the future so will need to take that into consideration when picking heads,cam, intake. My question is, what is the best combo for the most power? I am looking at the twisted wedge kit by trickflow. I have heard that the results from that kit install are consistent and repeatable and should get my stock set up from about 180 hp to the wheels to about 260 hp to the wheels. I have heard good things about AFR 165 heads as well but dont know the right combo to put with those heads for the power now and future blower add on. Some help would be great! Thank you in advance.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

TW 170s, TFS or Systemax upper/lower and some kind of Custom grind cam, a lot of people choose FTI for custom cams. This along with with supporting mods will put you over 300whp, not 260whp like you think.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:26 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Depending on the amount of boost you plan to run you might consider going a little bigger than 165 heads. Victor jr. or TFS 'R' series upper and lower will flow good for the intake. If you want an off the shelf cam, Comp cams makes several blower cams. Dont forget to up grade the fuel system while you have everything torn apart. Good luck with the build.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

TW are my pick. If you are gone to run a turbo and stay for the most part a street car I would stay with a long runner intake also it helps with torque and turbo spool. the stock cam will work fine with a turbo also but if you must change the cam go with one the is ground for a Turbo it will be a night a day difference over a S/C cam. A good fuel system is a MUST.
With good boost and the mild set up you are looking at you will reaching the limits of a stock block with either a S/C or a Turbo.
Also if you are gone to run a turbo pull the 373s out and put some 331s or 327 in there as a turbo loves to have load
Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
VIT50

Thank you all for the replies. I called trick flow and got some similar advice. One question is will a stage 2 cam fit?
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 PM
VIT50

Originally Posted by uedlose
TW are my pick. If you are gone to run a turbo and stay for the most part a street car I would stay with a long runner intake also it helps with torque and turbo spool. the stock cam will work fine with a turbo also but if you must change the cam go with one the is ground for a Turbo it will be a night a day difference over a S/C cam. A good fuel system is a MUST.
With good boost and the mild set up you are looking at you will reaching the limits of a stock block with either a S/C or a Turbo.
Also if you are gone to run a turbo pull the 373s out and put some 331s or 327 in there as a turbo loves to have load
You mentioned that this is a mild set up. What would be considered an agressive setup? Not that I would want to go down that path but I am trying to learn and understand all the options. Thank you again for the reply.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:18 PM
VIT50

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Depending on the amount of boost you plan to run you might consider going a little bigger than 165 heads. Victor jr. or TFS 'R' series upper and lower will flow good for the intake. If you want an off the shelf cam, Comp cams makes several blower cams. Dont forget to up grade the fuel system while you have everything torn apart. Good luck with the build.
Looking at the trickflow R series intake upper and lower. Looks like I should be looking at the 75mm throttle body size correct? With the larger 90mm intake it seems more geared for the 351 lower. The Box R i was told would not help me because I would loose torque in low rpm range. Since this is a street toy, I want to have power for as much of the rpm range as possible. So here is the link to the kit http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...6&autoview=sku that i am looking at. Would the TrickFlow R series intake help increase the power? Can i run bigger heads then the TW170 that comes with this kit? I was told the kit comes with a Stage 1 cam because they know for a fact that it will work perfectly with the stock block. The Stage 2 they cannot gaurentee...have had people install with no issue but some had to "retard" the cam to get it to work. Is it worth trying? Thank you again for the replies.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:32 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

75mm throttle body and mass air meter will work well with a R series or victor jr. intake. Yes you can go bigger on the heads than 170cc. 185cc heads with boost is a popular choice. As far as the cam choice. I went with the stage 1 because they gauranteed there would be no clearence issues. Others have used the stage 2 without issue but every motor is slightly different and I just wasn't willing to take a chance on banging a piston. (that and I wouldn't know where to start when measuring clearences with the bigger stage 2 cam.)Go for it if your a really good mechanic.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:01 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VIT50
You mentioned that this is a mild set up. What would be considered an agressive setup? Not that I would want to go down that path but I am trying to learn and understand all the options. Thank you again for the reply.
Highly ported heads, more cid, short runner intake. large camshaft high stall converters and very well built aftermarket short blocks. High RPMs.. all in a purpose built chassis.. and fuel system that would power the space shuttle..
Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 PM
VIT50

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
75mm throttle body and mass air meter will work well with a R series or victor jr. intake. Yes you can go bigger on the heads than 170cc. 185cc heads with boost is a popular choice. As far as the cam choice. I went with the stage 1 because they gauranteed there would be no clearence issues. Others have used the stage 2 without issue but every motor is slightly different and I just wasn't willing to take a chance on banging a piston. (that and I wouldn't know where to start when measuring clearences with the bigger stage 2 cam.)Go for it if your a really good mechanic.
How much power does your set up have? Are you happy with the sound? I heard the trickflow Stage 1 Cam produces that old school muscle car sound.

Quick Reply: Building 1990 302 top end and need some advice