5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Odometer rollover and used Foxbodys

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 AM
Cali_GT

Default Odometer rollover and used Foxbodys

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on something for me.

I've been looking for a used Mustang to buy for a little while now. I've seen a few '88-'91 models with low mileage, i.e.: 61k, 88k, etc.

Looking at pictures of the odometer, it looks like there's only 5 digits which seems to me these cars could very well have already rolled over 99,999 and started back at 0.

I know I can get a Carfax report and see for sure if the mileage is legit, but is there any other way to tell? The cars I'm looking at seem to be all original, in good shape... but I can't help but wonder if they've rolled over, since they're 20+ years old. It's hard to imagine people only put 3000k/year on a car like this.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

It can happen. You need to look the body over. If it has 33k original miles then the wheel wells shouldn't be beat to hell, the engine bay shouldn't be really grimey....little tell tale signs will show...BUT now a days unless you are looking for a low mileage car for its value....50k or 150k doesn't matter. The 302 can last well over 200,000 miles before it needs rebuilt so long as it was taken care of. Then the don't cost much to do so.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Cali_GT

I'm looking at lower mileage vehicles because the higher ones seem to be beat to hell. I figure if it really does have low mileage, it was a weekend cruiser and the previous owner(s) respected their car and took care of it.. far too many out there that have been beat to s***.

I guess the only sure fire way to know is a Carfax or Autocheck? It is a little suspect why these sellers don't offer one.. it's only $20 for them.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 AM
cmc87

Rumour has it that if the odometer numbers do not line up well then the odometer has rolled over (i.e if each number is not centered with each other).
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by cmc87
Rumour has it that if the odometer numbers do not line up well then the odometer has rolled over (i.e if each number is not centered with each other).

Never thought about it but that is a good sign of a roll over.... Carfax isn't always accurate however it does track the title changes and registrations (some) so you can get an idea....the use of Carfax to find out ALL of the history is a JOKE. It doesn't show everything...just some.

If you really want to look at a car then really LOOK at it....Look at all the possible trouble issues...look for body panels that do not align correctly, overspray, quarter panels that have tweaked by the windows, wheel wells, floor pans, torque boxes...... take your time and don't feel rushed when you are inspecting them. There are a few places that you can't see without removing a few things but just be cautious. Everytime I work on mine or someone elses car I notice something that I didn't notice before...the story slowly comes out lol
Old 11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
cmc87

Some more about high mileage, don't let that deter you. What you DO want walk away from is a bad frame or body. Keep in mind, everything mechanical can be rebuilt or replaced, at a pretty reasonable cost. A bent frame rail or rusted out strut tower on the other hand, well, that's a little different. That is BIG money to fix, if repairable at all. Projectresto named all the critical areas to check. For a little more info, here is an article that you might find helpful.
Buying a Foxbody

About sellers not picking up a Carfax... it probably doesn't occur to them. In my opinion, the onus is on the buyer to get the Carfax or other history report.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:39 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

As for the rusted strut tower....there are now complete rails that can be purchased and assembled to fix it....at about $270 a side.... I am currently fixing a 14" section on a friends 89...poked at it and poked at it and now....its gone and gonna be tubed....

Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Sharky Carrico

im looking to replace my frame rails and rad support on my 88 as well/ was receintly in a wreck. i was told there are other vehicles with the same frames. i am new on here. am looking for info on which cars i can clip.if you have any help id appreciate it sharky71371@gmail.com
Old 11-07-2012, 05:01 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Originally Posted by Sharky Carrico
im looking to replace my frame rails and rad support on my 88 as well/ was receintly in a wreck. i was told there are other vehicles with the same frames. i am new on here. am looking for info on which cars i can clip.if you have any help id appreciate it sharky71371@gmail.com

Please start you own thread in the general discussion and I will be happy to help out!