5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

value of a 1989 mustang gt in mint shape

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM
billgates

Default value of a 1989 mustang gt in mint shape

Does anyone know what a good asking or fair price to ask for a well modded mint 1989 mustang gt with 80240 miles on car. No rust no scratches no dings no body work brand new red paint. Outside is a 10 out of 10 and interior is a 9 out of 10. Brand new zr 245 50r 16 tires. 3.73. Gears. 5 speed cobra clutch. Hurst shifter. Cammed. Ford racing heads. Elbrock performer intake. 24 lbs injectors. Forged pistons. Ford racing fuel pump. Ford racing plugs and wires. Ford racing direct drive fan. Cold air intake. Ford racing crank. Ford racing rods. Bored .30 . Ported and polished. Much much more ford racing parts in engine and on engine. It has never been dyno'd but the ford delership that did all the engine work said the engine was near the 400 hp range give or take 15 hp. The car is spotless and well cared for. It has over 10 grand in mods and engine work. It also has the 8.8 rear end with true posi track. It has brand new brakes. A 7 inch flip face dvd cd player. The car is really as mint as they come. What would be a fair asking price .
Old 12-14-2012, 01:30 AM
94redGTConv
2nd Gear Member

9? shot in the dark here.

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 12-14-2012, 03:17 AM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

Look at it this way, because you can play this out in many different scenarios, and here are a few.

1.) All the mods done, do you have paperwork as proof, receipts and such? Otherwise you're asking somebody to take your word on it and so many people these days try to rip people off, not saying you're that type of person, but when people try to sell me stuff with this and that done or a new motor or rebuilt motor or this car has all highway miles, it's meaningless. I could get a car and in a year sell it and say I've put 70,000 highway miles on it when in reality I've driven it 10,000 city/hard miles. As a seller I look at it like this, if you can prove it then that's all good, but if you can't then it never happened. Now you may find somebody who takes your word but most people with any experience think like me.

2.) The economy sucks so you have to find somebody who wants that car, and that trusts that you've done what you say you have, and that person has to also not assume that since you've done all of that it hasn't been dogged out or raced hard. Also it comes into play did you rebuild it yourself or did a professional rebuild it? Because professional rebuild sometimes come with warranties and if just a random person put it to together, who's to say it will hold up? So with all that in mind you still have to find somebody that wants the car you're selling with the work that's done to it in a price that they want it.

3.) When you get interested buyers, don't seem excited to sell it, that raises flags and shows them that you can be talked down, trust me in the last 9 years I've owned about 30 something vehicles. Usually when I sell something, I list it between 500-1000 above what I really want that way when people come to buy it or look at it they think they're getting a great deal by talking me down, when in all reality I'm getting what I wanted in the first place. So when people come to look at your vehicle talk about how you're not sure if you really want to get rid of it because it's been a great car and you have a lot of money invested in it, and when they make you an offer, tell them you'll think about it, lie to them and tell them you have another interested buyer that offered you something slightly above what they did(unless it's what you want), basically it's all about knowing how to sell a vehicle.

4.) Don't let people come test drive the car and end up wrecking your stuff. The car has mods, it has power so they'll want to test it out and the world has produced some ignorant people these days so the last thing you want is for some kid to come look at it saying he's interested and wants to test drive it then he wrecks your car and you're SOL. Ask them if they're interested how they plan to pay for it, cash? Well put a deposit down while they test drive, or if they're financing ask to speak to the finance company. Actually if they say financing the vehicle they're lying because I don't know of any company that will finance you a vehicle older then 5 years? I think, or it may be 10, not sure. This means they'll have to take a personal loan out to buy it.

These are just a few things to consider, also let's say you have $15,000 invested, that doesn't mean you will get $15,000, a realistic price tag is something about half of what you have invested unless the car's a wanted classic(60's, 70's muscle cars), because foxes just aren't popular like '66 mustangs and '69 GTO's and such. A good asking price would be about $7,500, or if it's as good as you say then $8,500, but list it for about a grand more so that way it gives you room to negotiate. Also tell them that when you do the title transfer you will say you sold for a little to no amount that way they don't have to pay a lot of taxes so it's more money in both of your pockets.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:25 AM
billgates

Thanks for all the info. To the last post. Here is the story on car. This car belonged to a marine that was killed in irac and his mother put the car in a charity auction. I was just lucky to get it. First off the car is just way to much car for me. It has to much power for me and to be my daily driver. Also no i do not have proof except for of corse the extream power it has and you can see the outer mods. Also the car had a issue with a surging idle so i took it to a ford dealership and as soon as i drove up they swarmed my car. They new this car very well. When i got out of car they asked me were i got this car i told them and they said the guy who use to own this car was in here once a month doing more modds to this car. They even gave me a huge disscount to fix my idle problem. They spoke with me for a few min telling me some of the engine mods that had been done to the internal part of engine. They told me about the rear end and suspension on car. They said it had so much work done that is was in the 10 grand range in engine mods and some other things. They said all parts put in car were ford racing parts not junky cheap parts. Thats when they told me what they think the hp was. I also can tell ya you would have to be a total tool to not be able to hear this amazing machine and ride one time in it to know that this car is one mean *** mustang and extreamly fast. It would only take a 5 min ride to understand what this car has. I also would take apart top of engine for the right buyer to show that this car is everything it said to be. If i new how to post pictures of car on here i would i do have some on my profile but not good ones. This car is just way to much car for me. Im wanting just a stock foxbody with the normal 5.0 power not a fuel burning drag car. It just not a practical car for me to drive daily.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 AM
billgates

And really that high like 8 or 9 grand. Man i was just gonna ask for like 5k and settle for 4500 hundred. But that deffently changes my asking price. Thanks agin for all the info and help
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by billgates
Thanks for all the info. To the last post. Here is the story on car. This car belonged to a marine that was killed in irac and his mother put the car in a charity auction. I was just lucky to get it. First off the car is just way to much car for me. It has to much power for me and to be my daily driver. Also no i do not have proof except for of corse the extream power it has and you can see the outer mods. Also the car had a issue with a surging idle so i took it to a ford dealership and as soon as i drove up they swarmed my car. They new this car very well. When i got out of car they asked me were i got this car i told them and they said the guy who use to own this car was in here once a month doing more modds to this car. They even gave me a huge disscount to fix my idle problem. They spoke with me for a few min telling me some of the engine mods that had been done to the internal part of engine. They told me about the rear end and suspension on car. They said it had so much work done that is was in the 10 grand range in engine mods and some other things. They said all parts put in car were ford racing parts not junky cheap parts. Thats when they told me what they think the hp was. I also can tell ya you would have to be a total tool to not be able to hear this amazing machine and ride one time in it to know that this car is one mean *** mustang and extreamly fast. It would only take a 5 min ride to understand what this car has. I also would take apart top of engine for the right buyer to show that this car is everything it said to be. If i new how to post pictures of car on here i would i do have some on my profile but not good ones. This car is just way to much car for me. Im wanting just a stock foxbody with the normal 5.0 power not a fuel burning drag car. It just not a practical car for me to drive daily.
post some pics up of it, underhood, body, interior...ect ect...do share!!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:45 AM
billgates

How do i put pictures up
Old 12-14-2012, 10:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by billgates
How do i put pictures up
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...orums-com.html
Old 12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
billgates

Old 12-14-2012, 11:50 AM