5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

A-Pillar Question for Body Guys

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Something else I notice while messing with it a little while ago is that someone did a ****-poor job fixing the rocker panel. They used screws and slide hammer to pull it in probably 10 places and then welded a crack along the top edge of it. After they destroyed it they covered it with about a 1/4" of bondo. Ive knocked most of it off just need to strip the rest off. Also most of the way down the rocker is twisted/pushed in. I was going to use a mini sledge and see if I could slowly work it back out straighter. I think the reason that one trim clip is stuck behind the glass is because who ever installed it didnt clean the channel very well. When measuring from the glass to the cowl under the fenders the driver's side is about 1/2" and the passenger side is 3/4". Pretty much the 1/4" gap I need for the trim to sit flush. Is removing the glass something I can do or do I need a glass man? Car needs a new windshield too. Its pitted something horrible.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:42 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

if you need a windshield then you dont have much to lose. I have a windshield knife I bought years ago. it is just a thin head extra long razor knife. works great for the windshields that are taped in but when they have been urethane in then it is a bear.
Maybe you should be looking at finding a used rock to section in rather then beating and mudding it all back up.
Screws and slide hammers are tools of the trade. While there are MUCH better tools to use when stuff is crushed and there is no $ left on the job or the customer just wants it smacked back together some times you get what you pay for.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

there is a windshield removal kit consist of handles and piano wire looking cutter to remove windshield sealer check at your local parts store.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

I may have to cut part of the rocker off and replace it. Ive seen replacement outer rockers on the part website but one review I read said the bends were all wrong. Any idea what a new windshield will run? I need a new rear glass too. Ive got a new set of quarter windows to put it in.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

If you are in NC you should be able to pick a nice used rocker hell while you are at it get the post also put just the outer part on. Hell i have that stuff I will sell you if you want but it would cost you to have it shipped. I have a glass friend and the last windshield I got for a fox was $150 installed and that was years ago we just got one a couple years ago for my son for his 95 GTS he paid $250 or $200 and that was cutting out the front rear and re installing them and a new front one Mark-up in glass is crazy. It is the back glass that is gone to get you tempered glass can get costly what is wrong with the one you have?.

As far as the windshield cutter kit they work but you have to be VERY careful as they will mess the glass up very easy you could use a strand of wire from a hood cable or mig welder wire But again they will mess up the glass very easy but at the same time you said you are gone to get another. But it would be nice to have the old glass when you are working everything out to see how it fits.
Ever think of getting another roller you are starting to get into a lot of hard work here you maybe way a head of the game by finding a nice roller

Last edited by uedlose; 01-01-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

What sheet metal do you have? I finally finished removing the interior minus the heater box and the rear quarter is damaged more than I expected. The wheel house is trash. Might have to cut it out and replace both. Kinda want to since I want to do the job right even though I have never done anything that in depth before. If I can just replace the parts I would feel more comfortable. Ill need a few pointers on it though. Ive got a mig and tig welder as well as a torch. Just dont have a plasma cutter.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:31 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

What do you need? Not to sound like a *** or any thing but you really are reaching the take it to the pros level not saying that you cant do it but it is getting a bit involved. You are gone to spend lots of money and count less days. Have you thought about another roller then just swap your stuff over? But at any rate what do you need?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Yeah my dad wants me to do that but I want to keep the body ive got. Ive got some training in body repair just not much. From what I can tell I need a rocker panel, entire a-pillar from rocker to roof, quarter panel skin and outer wheel house. All for the right side.

Ive got the Boss to drive now so I can take as long as it as I want to get it right. Not to mention good learning experience too.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I have most of that and I may have it all I will have to look at the quarters. 3 cars to look at. this for a hatch car or a coupe?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Hatch.

Quick Reply: A-Pillar Question for Body Guys