5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking for suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM
jdubs16

Default Looking for suggestions...

I recently acquired a 93 GT convertible. Everything about it is stock but is very clean and well kept. Of course at 20 years old, the engine isn't as smooth as it once was I'm sure I'm looking for suggestions, sort of a recommended time line of what things I can add/replace in a slow piece by piece fashion while still leaving drivable on a consistent basis. I'm excited to have this as I've always loved the Fox body 5.0. I want to do what I can over the next few years to improve on the engine and performance without breaking the bank all at once, if you get my meaning.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Justin
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

The best starting point on these is not even engine related , and is my choice of beginning mods. Gear it . I couldn't tell you off hand what the stock gearing is for sure in that year but likely 2.73 . If you go to a set of 3.55 , 3.73 or 4.10 you will get a significant gain in applied torque. Next would be headers and a decent exhaust. I like longtube 1 5/8" diameter primaries. And the tried and true flowmaster 40 or super 44s. A gt40 or cobra upper/lower intake along with a nice exhaust will really let the engine breath . Gears if you are mechanically inclined could be done in an afternoon in the garage , but if you have never been through the process then I suggest either having a reputable shop do it or find a buddy that has experience in the rear end gears. Those 3 things alone will cost roughly 800 to 1000 dollars if you do the work , The exhaust being the deciding factor because you can use some cheaper headers and get away with it, but NEVER skimp on gears do it right and use quality parts. Ford racing gears have a great reputation. After those things now you can start saving because brother , you are gonna need some cash to go any further. Those 3 mods will keep you happy for awhile , but we all succumb to the pony , and there are guys that would rather make hp than eat lmao...

There are some good deals on heads out there if you can find a set of used gt40 exploder heads , but youll likely need to rebuild them and its gonna get pricey really fast when it comes to valve train work .
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dawson1112
there are guys that would rather make hp than eat lmao...
That's why I'm so damn skinny. Huh, who woulda thought...
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duncan_GT
That's why I'm so damn skinny. Huh, who woulda thought...
lmao.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 AM
jdubs16

Originally Posted by dawson1112
The best starting point on these is not even engine related...
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

If you're saying the engine isn't running smoothly, the standard tune up parts would apply. Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, clean the MAF & IAC, etc.

Once the car is running smoothly, I'd work on restomodding. Replace anything that is worn out, and upgrade worn out parts if upgrades are available. This could mean anything from small interior/exterior trim pieces to a full suspension upgrade. (UPR Products!!) As you perform these upgrades one or two at a time, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the car.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 PM
jdubs16

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
If you're saying the engine isn't running smoothly, the standard tune up parts would apply. Distributor cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, fuel filter, clean the MAF & IAC, etc.

Once the car is running smoothly, I'd work on restomodding. Replace anything that is worn out, and upgrade worn out parts if upgrades are available. This could mean anything from small interior/exterior trim pieces to a full suspension upgrade. (UPR Products!!) As you perform these upgrades one or two at a time, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the car.
For a 93, the engine seems to run well. My only observation, being an automatic, the car seems to shift into 3rd rather quickly a lot basically killing any sort of acceleration and dropping RPMs. I already gave tune up - cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Soon to be replacing PCV valve. I have not checked MAF and IAC.
It does seem to idle fine but seems to idle high at 1K or sometime a little over. I don't think its helping the breaks either which is another story. I may end up replacing all breaks at this point.

I'm already in love with the car, I just want to get it to a point that I feel very confident in the performance of it. I'm almost scared to drive it with an aggression at this point since its 20 years old.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jdubs16
For a 93, the engine seems to run well. My only observation, being an automatic, the car seems to shift into 3rd rather quickly a lot basically killing any sort of acceleration and dropping RPMs. I already gave tune up - cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Soon to be replacing PCV valve. I have not checked MAF and IAC.
It does seem to idle fine but seems to idle high at 1K or sometime a little over. I don't think its helping the breaks either which is another story. I may end up replacing all breaks at this point.

I'm already in love with the car, I just want to get it to a point that I feel very confident in the performance of it. I'm almost scared to drive it with an aggression at this point since its 20 years old.
3rd gear issue sounds valve body related, but I'm not an auto trans expert.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Do a search on "TV cable", yours may need adjustment. Well first see if it's connected to throttle or if cable is broken. Do not drive the car if its any of those two. That cable controls shift points on the AOD, and without it, your tranny will eat itself from the inside out. Or so I've been told.

When I first got my car the cable was disconnected by PO for reasons unknown. Under full throttle, it would shift really guick and be in 3rd gear by 25-30 mph. That tranny never gave me a problem after that, but they say never drive it without TV cable adjusted properly.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:43 PM
jdubs16

Thanks for that. I checked, and sure enough, the plastic bushing was gone which is art of the problem. Definitely needs new bushing and adjustment. Ordered the brass bushing and pin in place of the plastic.

Quick Reply: Looking for suggestions...