5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

1983 GT - Need advice, looking to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 08:20 PM
musicman8287

Default ***Bought 'er!*** 1983 GT - Need advice, looking to buy.

I am interested in the 4 eyed mustangs, and there's this '83 GT 5spd not too far away from my home, here in South Carolina. I checked it out, and def plan to do a more thorough inspection on my 2nd trip, as my buddy and I were pressed for time the first time we saw it. Odometer was in the low 30k range, so I guess it has 130k, but who knows? I have been researching the 83-85 GTs a lot these last few weeks, and this site has been awesome with all the info I have learned.

He wants $3800, and seems pretty firm. He referred to $3k offers from other guys as lo-ball.

The car seems nice and straight. My buddy and I looked all around for rust and there was none. Checked lower doors, hatch, etc. Owner even lifted up the hatch carpet and the floors are solid. Solid under front seats as well, and under carriage was white, like the body. The strut towers and engine compartment seemed rust free and clean as well. Had the 'motorcraft' Holley on it. Didn't pay attention to exhaust except for headers, so will check again. He said newer Flowmasters were on car. Fired right up and sounded great.

Interior was nice and clean. Owner drove, but it seemed to ride very well. No weird sounds or rattles, had good pick-up and go.

Paint job was okay, but I bet some elbow grease and polishing would bring out the shine.

Seen a few in the area for less $, like $2k - $3k, but those def seemed to need more work, which I guess would easily surpass the total cost of this car, which I believe was ready and healthy enough to be driven daily, based on ride.

He bought it about 9 months ago, as a nostalgia thing (he's mid 40's) and for his 17 yr old son, but wants to get rid of, and already bought son a Rav 4.

Some concerns:

Listed as 1984, but said 83 when I asked him. VIN is from 83. I dunno, kinda weird... I always know my car's year. If I make a mistake, I edit and correct ad.

I noticed inside lower engine compartment, you can tell the car was once the darker red offered that year, so I guess that would be the original color. Whoever repainted it took the time to paint the bottom of car as well, rather than undercoating. But I also know that white paint is the cheap way to "pretty" up a car and sell, if bodywork was done.

Had my insurance agent run the VIN, he says seems clean, but has had 3 claims throughout its life, for windshield replacement. In SC, by law, insurance companies have to replace cracked windshield if owner, with full coverage, chooses to do so, free of deductible charge and no strikes against record. Apparently 3 other states have similar law.

As mentioned, looked like stock carb, but who knows? Is there any stamping to verify?

Stock 'hood scoop' or cowl, whatever it's called, looked like it was an ad on. Looks stock, but I noticed in rear, it looked like someone missed the hole and deformed it with fastener. Did they offer GTs without it?

As for originality, can someone please provide a link how to look for and decipher any motor numbers, to see if it was replaced or not?

I also read up on the buck tag, so I'll def look for it.

I know it's 30 yrs old and I can't be too ****, and there's cheaper ones out there, but I also know what body work costs, the time involved, etc. and other examples needed more of that kinda work. I'd rather focus time on motor and suspension than cutting, welding, forming, etc.

What's a fair offer?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by musicman8287; 08-30-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:35 PM
musicman8287

Default photos...

Last edited by musicman8287; 08-21-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

I like the four eyed look as well, but going back to 83, it will have weaker transmission, rear end, brakes, and engine block as compared to the newer cars. If you like it like it is, great. If you want to add power, it would be wiser to buy newer, at least an 86. It's definitely smarter in my book to buy a nice clean car over a cheap car. Good Luck!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
musicman8287

Originally Posted by reldla1996
I like the four eyed look as well, but going back to 83, it will have weaker transmission, rear end, brakes, and engine block as compared to the newer cars. If you like it like it is, great. If you want to add power, it would be wiser to buy newer, at least an 86. It's definitely smarter in my book to buy a nice clean car over a cheap car. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info!

So if you can give a guesstimate, what kind of money to get the '83 into mid to hi 12s?
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

What are your priorities ? Street or strip ? If you start throwiing money into this car to make more power, like reldla said, stock trannys and rearends will fail, especially at the track. I'd treat it like it is, a clean 4 eyed fox. Look elsewhere for a 12 sec. car.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:13 PM
musicman8287

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
What are your priorities ? Street or strip ? If you start throwiing money into this car to make more power, like reldla said, stock trannys and rearends will fail, especially at the track. I'd treat it like it is, a clean 4 eyed fox. Look elsewhere for a 12 sec. car.
Good question.

Truth be told, I said high 12 sec as a general area for quickness and power, but I don't plan on taking it to the strip. Maybe once or twice, but not to drag race competitively. So 13 sec is cool too. My goal is to build a fast car that handles well, suspension mods, etc., as it'd mostly see city driving and the windy hilly country roads out here in the Carolinas. Something fun to drive to work, cruise, etc.

I'd keep my current 4 door commuter, so whatever I buy won't see rain, but I have limited budget, so I can't afford the low mile ones I see in the $5 - $7k range. I also love wrenching, so it'd be nice to find a car that needs mods, vs taking over someone else's hot rod.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 PM
reldla1996
2nd Gear Member

High 12's are just much easier to achieve with an 89-93 Fox, the common aftermarket h/c/i combinations, e.g. TF or Edelbrock, with a 3.55 or steeper gear will get you at least close. With an 83, your transmission and rear axle are going to be fragile unless you replace them with a set up from an 86 up, the engine block is weaker, and the brakes are small. In the end, it's your car, and you should get what will make you happy.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:43 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

As for the 83.
It's going to be a flat tappet 302 if it still has the original engine in it. THAT TYPE 302 IS NOT ANY WEAKER THAN THE NEWER ONES.
The rear axle will be a 7.5"unit, good running 6 cylinder cars break them all the time.
If you want a 12-13 second street/strip type car it would be cheaper/easier to use an 86-91 or so.......
Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 AM
musicman8287

Talking

Thanks again for your input, and some very valid points are made. Ultimately, I'll consider your arguments as I go and see the car again this weekend. Based on a lot of research here and all over the net, I have a better idea of what to look for and inspect.

I dunno... I have been looking around for fox bodies and thinking about buying one for a while. The 4-eyed ones just do it for me, for whatever reason.

I'll keep y'all posted... going to see it again tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 AM
musicman8287

So I went and looked at car again today.

2 issues...

I noticed that the front passenger tire seems to be tucked inside further than the front driver side tire. In other words, it's like the front passenger tire sites closer to center of car. When standing behind the car, out edge of wheel is further from fender lip on passenger side. Any thoughts as to what may cause this?

Also, the seller is including 4 17x9 cobra style 4 lug wheels (not on car). Will these fit? So far, it seems my search has said front will rub.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 1983 GT - Need advice, looking to buy.