5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

best and loudest exhaust for my 95 GT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:09 PM
BigKid
1st Gear Member

Default RE: best and loudest exhaust for my 95 GT!

but thats hwat iwant, on my frieds dads 70 chevelle ss 454 he has magnaflo exhaust on it and it is super loud and i have loved that noise since.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 PM
qwikgtpony
1st Gear Member

Thats very true, I've experience that before when I hit a man hole and broke the flange at the mid-pipe and cat back connection. Good thing the exhaust welder could work 15min over time for me.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

If you want the loudest go SLP all the way (if applicable). If you want loud, but deeper and a better tone. Go with SLP LM1 and MAC prochamber h pipe. It will be plenty loud without being too loud. You don't want it to be annoying. Anything you go with will be good. SLP LM1 or Borla Stingers sound great with an off road H.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:13 PM
BigKid
1st Gear Member

is the LM1 the same as the LM2 or hwtas the difference?
Old 10-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

LM2 is quieter. It has ceramic (i think thats whats around it) inside the resonator to deaden the sound more. LM1s are basically straight pipes.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:17 PM
BigKid
1st Gear Member

but i still dont understand how the LM2 cat back and the h-pipe and verythign can fit under the car. can you tell me in which order everything goes. like headers, catback etc. etc.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:20 PM
qwikgtpony
1st Gear Member

ummm...they replace where your factory exhaust is thats how it fits and the order is headers(meaning off the heads), mid- pipe(middle), then the cat back system(back from catalitic converters)
Old 10-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

Ok. The order is headers, midpipe, catback. They're are to types of headers. Short tube, and long tube. (Their are also mid lengths but I'm not too familiar with them.) Short tubes, like the name implies, are shorter than long tubes. They are the same length as your stock ones are. Long tubes are much longer and require a different midpipe. "A shorty midpipe." Thats usually how its labeled. Long tube headers usually generate more power but can be very pricey. Unless you can install them, I'd pretty much say dont buy them yet.

Now midpipes. Their are two types of midpipes. Theres an h pipe and an x pipe. Each one can be broken into 2 subcategories. Off road, which have no catalytic converters, and pipes with high flow cats. Your stock midpipe is an h pipe consiting of 2 resonators and 4 catalytic converters (at least on the 96-04, i could be off on the 95 model). These cats and resonators are very restrictive. The cats are what keeps your car smog legal. By removing the cats you free up horsepower. Now on an h pipe you tend to get a deeper tone and supposedly a higher torque increase in low rpms. With an x pipe its a higher pitched raspier tone that supposedly adds 2 or so extra horsepower compared to an h but gets less torque. It flows freer because the pipes cross allowing exhaust gas to flow down either side.

Now onto catbacks. I'd say the main reason to get a catback is because of sound. It adds a couple of horsepower because its a larger pipe. Most catbacks for GT's are 2.5". Stock on a 96-04 gt is 2.25". (Exhaust for cobras can be 2.5" or 3".) I recoomend borla stingers or SLP LM1s. Basically straigh pipes for each because they both use resonators. Avoid Magnaflow if you want loud. That should about sum it up for you.

Sorry it was so long.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:49 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

how different would my car (96 gt) sound between the catted and noncatted mac h pipe and a borla cat back sound? from what ive read it sounds better and more power but how much of each?

and would a 96 gt with the pi head swap, a pp, a 262 cam, and in intake pass emissions w/o cats when its running fine? and a tune after all that stuff of course

btw im really just worried about passing emissions
Old 10-21-2005, 07:55 PM
qwikgtpony
1st Gear Member

There wouldn't be that much of a sound or performance difference I do believe. As for the emissoins it depends on whos working the inspection lane and what kind of mood they are in that day. So don't **** them off! I know that where I live in DE that its no thing to pass without cats, but if you don't, there a shop don't the road that you pay 50 bucks and they guarentee you pass when they take it.

Quick Reply: best and loudest exhaust for my 95 GT!