5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Re pinning instrument cluster connectors

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

Default Re pinning instrument cluster connectors

. I purchased an aftermarket Instrument cluster by New Vintage USA. Without removing the OEM wire harness, is there enough length and play to repin and replace the two connectors that plug into the OEM cluster? It's been suggested that a Delphi GT-150 connector would be a good replacement. The cluster was a present from my wife so please don't ask why I bought it. I'm an old rookie. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The Mustang is a 1990. I've hit dead ends hoping that out there i could find a female connector that was a match to the existing harness 14 pin connectors that I could pigtail from into the new cluster.
Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Just to help us out, could you post a link to the cluster you have.

What did New Vintage USA recommend for this swap ?
Old 02-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

There is enough length. You have to pull the harness quite a bit to get the wires to come through the holes but it is possible. I did something similar to my car and my brother's old car. Mine uses a 8 pin honda connector and his used a 16 pin Delphi GT connector.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:38 AM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

88 Orangepeel Notch: I will advise on your request soon.

Boss Hotrod: That is what I was hoping to here. Were you 100% satisfied with the Delphi GT-150 connector? That was suggested in another thread on here by another that knows a lot more than I do.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

This is the link for the New Vintage USA instrument cluster. Their part number 87101-01. I purchased it through CJ Pony. A lot of money but it was a gift from my wife. I didn't want to say no. It was on a generous promotional sale at the time.http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerc...-fit-packages/
As for the direction, I am disappointed. I will only say that they didn't consider all the possibilities regarding customer level of ability and maybe that's partially my fault. Eager to buy and worry about details later. I think they have a great product here. With all the $$$ invested I don't understand why they wouldn't go one step further to make it s true plug in replacement. I think they would sell s lot more but I'm not a mechanic or design engineer.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:29 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Yeah I like the Delphi connectors. My car has mostly their Metri-pack connectors on it for the wiring I did. I used the GT connectors when I had a lot of wires since they are more compact than the Metri-pack connectors.

Just so you know I bought a Weather-pak crimper from Summit for $25. They can be a lot higher elsewhere so just look around before buying one. Also you dont need the seals for the terminals since the connector is in the car.

One other thing If you can find the part number for the connector you need, you can get the connector and terminals pretty cheap from Mouser.com.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:35 AM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

Thank you Boss Hotrod. I'm going in that detection as soon as it warms up. That's a great price for the crimper compared to many others I've seen.

Last edited by 5.0muscle; 02-19-2017 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Spell correct
Old 06-08-2017, 02:58 PM
5.0muscle
2nd Gear Member

Okay. After a lot of reading, good advise given here and elsewhere and reading up on similar projects, I backed out. My only cost in the cancelled project was time; cluster moved elsewhere at breakeven $$$. Bottom line: I realized splicing into the wire harness was not an option. If my car was for the track only, it would have been different. Yes, still a novice but I learned a lot !
Old 07-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Sacer

I learned a lot, too. thanks