5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Oil Pressure Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:54 PM
Mark 95 GT convertible

Default Oil Pressure Question

I've had my 95 GT convertible for a long time. I haven't driven it since 2011 (took it apart to paint, moved, etc) and now I'm about ready to get it back on the road. It starts and runs fine, but the oil pressure seems a little high. It is almost to the red mark on the gauge after running 10 minutes or so in my driveway. I think it was close to the "L" in the word normal when I last drove it 6 years ago, but I just don't remember for sure. Where seems normal to you guys for this 5.0? The car has 99,500 miles, by the way, and is 100% stock.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:27 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

The signal is electric, not an actual gauge with fluid running to it. It could be wrong.

Reasons oil pressure can go up:
thicker weight oil
blockage ie..clogged oil passage

Edit: had oil filter, that would actually lower it

Last edited by TrimDrip; 07-20-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Mark 95 GT convertible

Originally Posted by TrimDrip
The signal is electric, not an actual gauge with fluid running to it. It could be wrong.

Reasons oil pressure can go up:
thicker weight oil
blockage ie..clogged oil passage

Edit: had oil filter, that would actually lower it
I replaced the oil and filter before I started to paint it in 2011. It has just been started and stopped, and just driven around my driveway maybe 30 miles since then. I guess to be safe I should just drain the oil and get a fresh filter. I don't want to take any chances with a good running motor!
Old 07-20-2017, 10:55 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

For sure!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 AM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mark 95 GT convertible
I replaced the oil and filter before I started to paint it in 2011. It has just been started and stopped, and just driven around my driveway maybe 30 miles since then. I guess to be safe I should just drain the oil and get a fresh filter. I don't want to take any chances with a good running motor!
I fully understand your concerns. I believe, though, there should be no problem. The gauge is subjective, not yielding accurate pressure information. More importantly, is there flow? Adequate flow? Without reverting to hooking up a gauge and measuring pressure, I would remove the oil pressure sending unit directly in front of the oil filter, start the engine briefly while someone watches that hole.....if copious quantities of oil flow forth your concern is groundless. imp