Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Which mid pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Evilwilly
1st Gear Member

I was thinking H-pipe as well. Because the Exhaust i'm going with is loud enough on its on.
But I just was wondering if anyone had the side exhaust and could tell me if it was worth it.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:25 AM
nj07
2nd Gear Member

H-pipe.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:02 AM
morbe

Hate to bump an old thread but did the original poster get the H-Pipe or the X-Pipes? Im looking for the same mod on my 2015 Mustang GT. What are the differences in X-pipes and H-pipes? I know that FR has a custom X-pipe for my Stang for about $250. but there is a standard X-pipe that a muffler shop want to put on my car that looks like its the bottom of the barrel very very basic but they only want $80 to install. I also asked about an H-pipe and a similar muffler shop says they can make the H-pipe. So whats the deal with these? Are these basic piping? I mean they still, at the end of the day complete the same function right? or am I wrong? I'm not "cheap" by no means but I would hate to pay for $250 + install for a part that the $80 part will do just fine.
And on another note what are some of the better X or H pipes that are the best bang for your buck?
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:08 PM
Evilwilly
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by morbe
Hate to bump an old thread but did the original poster get the H-Pipe or the X-Pipes? Im looking for the same mod on my 2015 Mustang GT. What are the differences in X-pipes and H-pipes? I know that FR has a custom X-pipe for my Stang for about $250. but there is a standard X-pipe that a muffler shop want to put on my car that looks like its the bottom of the barrel very very basic but they only want $80 to install. I also asked about an H-pipe and a similar muffler shop says they can make the H-pipe. So whats the deal with these? Are these basic piping? I mean they still, at the end of the day complete the same function right? or am I wrong? I'm not "cheap" by no means but I would hate to pay for $250 + install for a part that the $80 part will do just fine.
And on another note what are some of the better X or H pipes that are the best bang for your buck?
Thanks!
I went with a H-pipe for the deeper tone. With an X-pipe its alittle rasper tone to it. So if you want a loud and raspy tone go with and X-pipe but if you a deep and aggressive tone go with the H-pipe. Hope this helps
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 AM
morbe

Originally Posted by Evilwilly
I went with a H-pipe for the deeper tone. With an X-pipe its alittle rasper tone to it. So if you want a loud and raspy tone go with and X-pipe but if you a deep and aggressive tone go with the H-pipe. Hope this helps
So I ended up leaving the resonator in place (for now). I did how ever put on flomaster super 44's which definitely woke up the sound! Deeper more muscular sound. Exactly what I was looking for. Im still on the fence about x pipes or h pipes. I like the idea of getting the top end hp increase but not excited with the raspiness in the tone I might get.
I like to tone I would get from an H pipe but not to crazy about the lower end hp I may get. I should really just flip a coin at this point. Lol
Old 10-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Evilwilly
1st Gear Member

So I ended up leaving the resonator in place (for now). I did how ever put on flomaster super 44's which definitely woke up the sound! Deeper more muscular sound. Exactly what I was looking for. Im still on the fence about x pipes or h pipes. I like the idea of getting the top end hp increase but not excited with the raspiness in the tone I might get.
I like to tone I would get from an H pipe but not to crazy about the lower end hp I may get. I should really just flip a coin at this point. Lol
Thats how I was and well H-pipe won lol.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:45 PM
morbe

Originally Posted by Evilwilly
Thats how I was and well H-pipe won lol.
How do you like it? What H-pipe did you go with? And did you notice any improvements or decrease in performance?
Old 10-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Evilwilly
1st Gear Member

How do you like it? What H-pipe did you go with? And did you notice any improvements or decrease in performance?
Well I went with a H-pipe for 3 reason. And I went with the KOOKS CATBACK EXHAUST W/ H-PIPE - FASTBACK (15-16 GT W/ KOOKS HEADERS)
1.) Its made by same people that made the headers I got. Which is Kooks 1 3/4 Green catted headers.
2.) Is cause it came with the catback I went with is which is also Kooks.
3.) Because I'm trying to get close to this sound
Without the popping and crackling hopefully

But its mainly personal preference when it comes to h or x .
But here is a vid to let you hear the difference between the two.
As for as the gains its very small difference between that you really won't notice driving wise but the you will hear alittle difference depending on the which one you pick.
H-pipe
X-pipe

Hope this helps. On a side note since you went this the flowmaster super 44's I would go H-pipe to help bring out that deep yet loud tone it already has but thats me

Last edited by Evilwilly; 10-19-2015 at 03:00 PM.